Your game's Puzzles?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Isabella Ava, Jan 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    While trying to design an interesting puzzle for my game,
    some idea comes to my mind like Jigsaw, Key Item, Hidden Passage
    Riddle, collecting Items?
    But they're kinda common already, right?
    One or two is ok but i guess player will get bored soon with those kind of puzzle.
    So do you have any idea for an interesting puzzle that RPGmaker can pull out - assume you know coding?
    Or a puzzle from your games that you feel interesting?

Raol and SOC like this.
  2. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mine is a RE style puzzle kinda, in the original game you have to move two statues to certain places to unlock a door. Mine works similar to that with quazis push plugin you can move things and set self switches to unlock said door once you meet requirements.

Maybe you could try something like that.

Raol and Isabella Ava like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There are quite a number of tutorials on puzzles, which should give you a few more ideas. Many of them are in the VX Ace section, but as they are evented, they will also work in MV. A quick search will pull them up - just type puzzle in the search box on the individual tutorial sections, and pages of stuff will come up for you.

4. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Downfall FES used riddle-based password and warp puzzles and "Wind Fish Egg Maze" (the final dungeon of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening) style puzzles-ie: on B20, player is given the riddle of "On the sixteenth floor below the surface, the Whale sees past the ciphers: 3201/145/9000", the riddle seemingly having no use until the player reaches B16, where the riddle's answer is used to get past the gate and be able to move on to B15. Then on B15, the player is given 3 riddles composed of cardinal directions in the form of arrows or compass abbreviations, again these riddles are the answers to coming floors.

Isabella Ava likes this.
  5. The Hatred Avenger

The Hatred Avenger ~Critical Invader~ Member

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello there how are you doing?

Yes I agree with them the best way to be creative is to have a set of already existing ideas and try to mix ways from here and there and create a new born one! So I recommend checking out other games even older versions and tutorials!. Have a sheet and keep writing ways and ideas. Try to credit if possible too.

Here's one from the top of my head but I'll use a more complex one, check out:

http://yanfly.moe/2016/01/24/yep-062-slippery-tiles/

Here's an existing idea! Try and make the place bigger for an example or instead of finding a chest, make a slippery puzzle to reach another end or path! Then in the other path try moving statues. The possibilities are endless if you give it some time!.

Note: there's no shame nor boredom of solving old classic puzzles! And having that Nostalgic feeling! Just don't fill your project with the same method, small changes and small details do matter.

I hope we helped.

Happy RPG Making.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Raol, TheoAllen and Isabella Ava like this.
  6. Raol

Raol Cat Magic Wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had no puzzle idea too a week ago, but after watching some videos I made some puzzles and minigames:
    Jump puzzles (using Yanfly SmartJump and Button Common Events)
    Stealth minigame: if you press E some events can't see you (it's like Yanfly Event Chase Stealth plugin but I only used Button Common Events, for the rest I made some events because I want that the events can see me in their direction, but not in a range of a circle)
    Sequence minigame ( I used a plugin but I don't remember its name)
    And some planned puzzles are:
    Slippery Tiles puzzles (using Yanfly Plugins)
    Move rocks or statues puzzle (yes that puzzle where you need to move something in the correct position)
    Memory puzzle: you need to remember where did you hear some sounds and when for unlocking a chest, like in D&D Advanced
    Maybe I will also make a special boss battle where before fighting the boss he becomes gigantic and destroys everything and you need to run away from him, so you fight him before out of the battle.
    (I do not include itemfinding, hidden passage puzzles etc. Because I do not consider them puzzles)

Isabella Ava likes this.
  7. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey, can u explain what jump puzzles exactly do? I'm also lacking of puzzle idea so I'm hoping to get some insight here

Raol likes this.
  8. Isabella Ava

First Language:
    English
    Memory puzzle - remember sound seems to be a nice idea. Though it's hard i think, most the time i will never remember some particular sounds i heard
    Stealth is a nice idea too, it could be better if there is something to limit the duration player can enter Stealth mode, like a Stamina bar?

Raol likes this.
  9. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Iirc, RMXP Game, Quintessence made by KanGao long time ago has an interesting stealth system, I don't remember how though, but I remember of being impressed to it.

For general stealth mode though, I think it just avoiding guard from their line of sight, they have patrol pattern, and you just need to avoid of getting caught. Not necessarily enters stealth mode

10. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first RPG Maker game, Heir to the Kingdom, is a puzzle game where you control the four characters in your party independently to solve various puzzles. It's got trap doors, spike traps, icy floors, floating platforms, electric floors, skiing, airship battle, run for your life, Pac-Man and more. I'm sure you can get a few good ideas from it if you wanted to check it out.

Raol, Isabella Ava and TheoAllen like this.
  11. Isabella Ava

First Language:
    English
    I gave Heir to the Kingdom a go, that's way too much for puzzle :D i couldn't even pass the place where there are many pit holes/ spikes/ electric tiles, that's too much @Frogboy

Frogboy likes this.
  12. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In my defense, I did put a warning that it wasn't an easy game. :)

I was just posting about it here because it has a decent amount of different puzzles that could be used for inspiration. I guess that doesn't help much if you can't progress through to far enough to see them, though. Sorry about that.

13. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just got done making a "balance" type puzzle for my game. You have to make 2 computers power output equal by clicking an up button or a down button that's on screen. Each computer is tied to a variable and if both variables are equal, checked by a separate parallel process, then it does X. Each variable goesup by an odd amount.

Some more ideas include quick time events, passwords, sequence switches, color type riddles (red & yellow make???)

14. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You may find inspiration through actual riddles and logic puzzles all over the internet outside of games.

Instead of talking about the puzzles you could act them out ingame

For example.. If you have a five gallon bucket a three gallon bucket and infinite water how do you get exactly four gallons?

Or lets say you have a 3x3 grid and you need to put numbers 1-9 on the grid using each only one time BUT each row and column must add up to 15.

Raol likes this.
  15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Let's see. So far I have the following:

-The traditional sliding on ice puzzle.
    -A "What do these tiles do?" puzzle, where you have different colors of tiles that, if you step on them, do certain things. Let's just say Shaz's region common event script was real helpful here.
    -A lever/door puzzle, where you have to figure out the combination of levers to let you past the doors.
    -A safe where you have to find the clues to get the 5 digit combination to unlock it. But, the clues are not all straightforward, like one just says "The digits sum to 22".
    -A maze runner puzzle. Can you get to the exit without hitting the Minotaurs, and grab the coins? (It's one you can play for a high score on the side, if you were curious).

That's what I can recall in a couple of minutes.

Raol likes this.
  16. Raol

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's limited by a timer

17. Raol

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, not exactly puzzles. They are inspired by Mario & Luigi Games (Like Bowser 's Inside Story). Jump puzzles are like mazes but you can add an height level or something that make you jump high for making it a better maze (Sorry for bad English)

18. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Raol, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to quote more than one person, use the Multiquote button.

19. Hercanic

Hercanic Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You gone and made me want to solve these, dammit.

Fill the 5-gallon up and pour the contents into the 3-gallon until you fill it up. Dump out the 3-gallon and pour remaing two gallons from the 5-gallon into the 3-gallon. Fill the 5-gallon back up and pour the contents into the 3-gallon until you fill it up. As the 3-gallon only had room for one more gallon, the 5-gallon now has four gallons remaining. Dump out the 3-gallon and done!

9 + 5 + 1
    4 + 3 + 8
    2 + 7 + 6

20. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great job on the buckets but youre not quite there on the grid. Each row left to right or right to left must be 15 and each column top to bottom or bottom to top must be 15.. And i didnt mention it since i wasnt expecting answers but additionally diagonals should add up to 15.

Diagonals might just happen naturally though..

So..

X+x+x=15
    0+0+0
    0+0+0

X+0+0
    X+0+0
    X+0+0
    =

X+0+0
    0+x+0
    0+0+x
    ...........=