Your least favorite type of enemies in games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Lyseth, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Lyseth

Lyseth Potato Mage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think personally enemies who abuse negative effects (paralysis, sleep, poison, etc.) are the most annoying, how about for you guys?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Enemies which spam instant KO skills randomly. Especially if it is an entire party KO skill, as bad RNG = Game Over then.

3. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That one. Whenever I see a skill like that, I'm basically thinking "Please don't kill me, please don't kill me".

4. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ones that can heal themselves fairly quickly or one who gain a spike affect.

5. Vis_Mage

Vis_Mage Novice Magician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Definitely one hit KO's, or for that matter massive power leaps in general. It's never fun to suddenly get a game over out of the blue, especially if you haven't had a chance to save lately.

With that said, even otherwise annoying enemies can work well, so long as you ease the player into the difficulty, and give them the proper tools to deal with them.

6. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enemies who use "any percent" attacks the entire party to lower you to the point their ally immediately KOs the entire party because your HP was lowered to the point that a lowly slime could KO a Lv100 player if "any percent" means 99%. This type of damage is heavily prevalent with Unison League's main quest AI- especially after Rank 55 quests.

7. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enemies that explode upon death. Yay, I beat it. Yippie.

8. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First thing in my list is the dispeller. After stacking buffs I worked hard, spending resources etc, enemy just dispel all my buffs.
    Second in my list is suicidal type enemy. They just don't care about their life, and just go explode and die.
    Third in my is the one that buff self or other enemy that grants a ridiculous high defense that renders (some) attacks useless. This also include the enemy who keeps heal their friend that (unnecessarily) prolonging battle

Instant K.O enemies aren't in my list. If it's unpredictable or involve RNG, it's the design flaw

9. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me it's:

- Those with instant K.O abilities
    - Damage sponges with way too much HP than is necessary, prolonging the battle needlessly
    - Those that have 3+ actions in a turn. Even 2 is already cheating, but I can forgive that if the enemy strategy fits it. 3 or more is pushing it.
    - Those that spam silence or anything of similar nature. Basically, again, prolonging the battle by disabling your better skills. Locking players out of some skills (e.g. healing skills) can be pulled off well if done right, but just spamming a blanket silence across all your abilities is boring and uninteresting.
    - Those that are resistant/immune to everything except only for one element/type of attack that probably only 1 party member of yours possesses.

10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm going to add a couple:
    -Enemies with take way too long to defeat for the EXP reward. Nothing annoys me more than spending 5+ minutes to defeat an enemy to get...1 whopping EXP.
    -Enemies which constantly stun lock the party. There's no reason to ever make your enemies such that they constantly lock the entire party in paralysis or stun, and nothing is less fun than just having to watch as the enemy kills your party while you are unable to act.

11. Vincent Chu

Vincent Chu Writer and translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All the above mentioned plus thieves and any enemies that can break your equipment.
    Also, enemies that can cause permanent death to any likeable character such as Sephiroth in FF7.
    Enemies you can't defeat and gain nothing from fighting such as in unwinnable battles.

12. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp Welcome to my world on Unison League's Rank 79 quests- where enemies combine to paralysis+confuse lock, "any percent", and disable your only ability that can take care of the paralysis/confusion all simultaneously, so you are helpless to do anything but watch as they decimate you and your team made of friends, just so they can get a sick kick out of watching you and your friends suffer. And wouldn't ya know it, they released three new classes today, but you have to be Rank 84 to get them... *sarcasm* Isn't today just wonderful?

13. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *-insert name of enemy- Escapes*

... Yes. Please, leave. I didn't need your XP or loot anyway..

... jerk.

14. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh yeah, these definitely. They're like one of those overused cliches in RPGs and most times are done badly because it's not clear if you're meant to lose that battle or not, so you end up wasting all your good items and other things, only to realise you can't win anyway. Easier to just show the villain's mighty prowess through a cutscene than a pointless battle.

15. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How about ‘petrify’ by medusa? That’s kinda anoyying too.

16. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I dislike those that cast paralysis or petrify (they usually show up early in the game too when the status-removal-items are a bit too expensive)
    The worse is when there's a bunch of them 4 or 5 and they keep paralyzing or petrifying you.

I also find large groups of the same enemy annoying. For example a dungeon where you run into goblins 90% of the fights, and only their number changes. meh.

17. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
  18. SaucissonSec

SaucissonSec ᕙ໒( ˵ ಠ ╭͜ʖ╮ ಠೃ ˵ )७ᕗ Veteran

First Language:
    Frenglish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Losing my Amulet Coin on Pokemon because of a f**king Sabotage attack. Then realizing that my last save is 2 hours ago... Anything like this just makes me ragequit the game >:(

VertigoAffliction likes this.
  19. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most people are addressing RPGs, but the two I'm thinking of I hate more in action style games.

1. Petrify/paralyze: Nothing is more fun than an enemy that makes me not able to play the game.
    2. Bullet sponges. Nothing is as horrid as an action game that expects you to repeat the same pattern over, and over, and over, and over, near perfectly because the enemy has way too many HP. If I got the pattern down good the first 5 times, it just becomes tedium to do the same pattern again 20 more.

20. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lol, reminds me of Fallout enemies where in later games they're bullet sponges. You think you're getting stronger? Hahaha, NO.

VertigoAffliction likes this.