Your least favorite type of enemies in games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Lyseth, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In Borderlands 2, as the playthroughs were ramped up, it was just adding a multiplier to enemy HP. Then when you got to OP levels? Because you were still considered level 72, those higher level enemies got Damage Reduction against your attacks. Oh, and did I forget to mention that enemies got health regen in later playthroughs?

And very few characters had damage that scaled up high enough to make it not stupid. The only character that still felt good at the highest levels was a Bloodlust/Mania Krieg build that relied on Release the Beast + Bloodsplosion, because it was such a massively damaging character that the HP multipliers still didn't matter. (Seriously, if you abuse that build properly, you can kill some of the raid bosses, intended to be killed by a full party of 4 at max level, with just one properly timed melee strike bloodsplosion chain).

Oh, until you ran into Saturn. Immune to slag, hard to hit crit spots. Hell that thing was a bullet sponge even in the lowest modes. In the final playthrough at the highest levels it was just a giant FU to anyone other than a corrosive pimpernel Sniper Zero build (and the pimpernel alone was just a giant abuse of the mechanics of the game)

I love that game, but I seriously wish it didn't become so, so unfun at later levels.

VertigoAffliction likes this.
  2. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Anything that immediately comes back to life after you kill it, or clones itself in any other way. Rpg specific example: the enemies in the Cave of Shadows in Final Fantasy 3 (the actual FF3 on nes/ds not 6). If you don't have the right abilities, they split into 2 when you hit them and it is so annoying to deal with!

VertigoAffliction and Matseb2611 like this.
  3. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reminds me also of the skeletons in Dark Souls. They never die unless you kill them with a holy weapon. I don't mind that kind of mechanic so long as 1) it's clear to the player how it works, and 2) the effective method to deal with them doesn't require you to travel around half the world on a long quest chain or farm for hours. It sucks though to realise you can't kill an enemy at all due to the wrong equipment and that it's too late to go back and regroup.

VertigoAffliction and Scythuz like this.
  4. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Matseb2611 - Ughhh yeah, that is pretty similar. After my first playthrough of Dark Souls I would often just either: roll past them, or, change the occult club you can find in anor londo to a holy club and use that when I needed to. It's a pain in the butt either way!

VertigoAffliction and Matseb2611 like this.
  5. VertigoAffliction

VertigoAffliction I can still play these older games like a champ. Veteran

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Tonberries. (screams) When it comes to not being vulgar in person, Tonberries break that rule, they are so ridiculously frustrating.

Don't even get me started on Bombs/Grenades/etcetera that spam that Self-Destruct/Explode nonsense. I hate that s*** with a passion. However, using explosives like molotovs, or weapons like the BFG9000 is no different.

Speaking of DOOM, that's a game where enemies get nasty, but only when they gang up on you. Any enemy is easy in that game when the number of them is =< 3, or =< 7 when one has the BFG9000....

I've had fantasies many where I introduce the Tonberry to the might of a BFG9000.... :ywink:

6. Zealraid

Zealraid Pixel Researcher Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Confuse that inflicting ti entire party... Scary

7. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Primal Groudon.
    In other words, enemies that are immune to attacks which should devastate them.

Shedinja.
    In other words, enemies whose abilities are so obscure you have to Google them after they slaughter you.

Greninja.
    In other words, enemies who can do things no one else can do. Their abilities are so unique they trump 90% of all possible strategies, railroading the player's options.

8. ChristyTaut

ChristyTaut Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well If the game enemy is Weak, then I don't think It is fun to play, But Currently, I am playing Ben 10 Series. So i will name Megawatt in Ben 10 Bellwood and Ben 10 Sparksville

9. Zebestian

Zebestian Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any enemies that cross the line between "challenging" and "outright unfair" I don't like. Stuff like spamming evasion buffs, spamming instant death, spamming status ailments *cough*Malboro*cough* things like that. There's also those freaking Lynels in Breath of the Wild, but I don't like them because I completely suck at fighting them...:kaophew:

Robin Hoot and starlight dream like this.
  10. Lothloran

Lothloran Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I agree only as far as games go that don't have a way to beat that, it doesn't necessarily need to be RNG = death. One of my favorite mechanics of all time is the /kneel mechanic in FFXI during the Odin fight. Odin had a massive AoE insta death ability, and you'd get like 6 seconds warning and you had to disengage, and /kneel before the animation happened and that prevented you from dying.

You can also just add items that resist death, or have some kind of mechanic/exploit that stops the enemy from using any insta-kill abilities. Those are the most fun types of fights imo. I like having to think and prepare a defense, which leads me to my least favorite type of enemy. The one you can button-mash auto attacks and kill.

11. Robin Hoot

Robin Hoot Veteran Veteran

Definitely the Malboro kind.

12. Alkemical

Alkemical Transient Lion Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Flying enemies in FPS-type games (Insects in Fallout/TES games being the worst offenders): Not only is it hard to kill them with ranged weapons because you can't predict their flight patterns, but they force you to always have a melee weapon that swings in wide arcs and hope you hit them while swinging madly, and they usually come in swarms. If they fly out of your melee range and have ranged attacks themselves, well too bad player! Hope you saved close to here.

As previously mentioned, bullet sponges: It's no fun having to whack something over and over for hours because it has a health pool of billions and billions and billions of HP. High protection/armor factorization is a lot better, because you usually have ways to bypass this (armor piercing attacks/ammo/spells, damage over time, etc) and enemies with high armor tend to not have too much health. Darkest Dungeon is an example of Protection done right. It can be a hassle, but with blight and bleed stacking, it can be circumvented.

Cheap combos: You have no idea how many times I died because a group of zombie mobs in FF8 got to go first, cast Zombie on all of my party, then cast revive and insta KO'd them.

AI-only moves: It sucks that you have to grind to unlock something (secret character, special weapon, etc), then when you get it? It's another regular thing with a fancy skin on it and you can't do the thing that made you want it in the first place. It gets worse in Fighting Games because the AI can do 1-frame inputs that are impossible for human players, and can perform perfectly timed command grabs, combos and such.

starlight dream likes this.
  13. 9gramsofpersonality

9gramsofpersonality Metaphysicist Member

In space (what? I occupy 3 spatial dimensions :P)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually dislike your run-of-the-mill random encounters. They're usually just boring to fight, don't need any interesting strategy and don't usually tell me anything interesting about the lore or plot. I'd rather escape every time, even if they give me goodies and experience. Besides, it's just that much more satisfying to defeat a boss when you're underlevelled :p

14. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well this was a bit grave dug but I will chime in. I think people dislike hard enemies of course but as 50 cent said "sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain, joy wouldn't feel so good if it wasn't for pain". Hard bosses and enemies give you more morale when you beat them then just one shotting something.

15. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralphâ„¢ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anything that can poison the party IMO, I always forget to buy antidotes before dungeon adventuring. :rswt

16. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anything that I can kill by hitting "Attack" or can kill easily. That annoys me most of the time because it just makes me disengage my brain from your game and turns it into a chore.

On the opposite end, I also hate anything that requires massive specialization to even attempt to kill. Like the above example with Borderlands 2 and its "raid bosses". Ugh. I hate those enemies. They're boring. They steal my agency as a player by forcing me to build or play a specific way to win. They're massive damage sponges. They can often kill you in one hit without the massive specialization.

Finally, I hate any enemy with a "Time Limit" attached to them. They kill you in X amount of time. You have to find a way to kill them in X amount of time. Etcetera. If I wanted to play a timed game, I'd play a Bomb Defusing game or a Racing Game. I'm here to play an RPG, A Shooter, or whatever else. Just let me concentrate on winning the fight and surviving it. Not on dealing with an arbitrary timer that determines whether I win or lose in what should be something tactical that relies on skill and not on "quick thinking". Or... pulling up a guide.

17. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Honestly, I'm really starting to hate seeing dragons in games. They've always been used a lot in games, but now adays, they're STILL used in almost everything, and when I see dragon gods in games Like Kingdom of Amaleur, Borderlands 2, Super Mario Odyssey, God of War, etc. I can't help but groan and shout at the screen "GET SOME NEW MATERIAL!!!"

Also, I hate seeing so much creativity in a game's enemies, yet generic, boring-as-hell protagonists that make me NOT want to beat up those super creative enemies.

18. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eh, but there is a difference between hard and annoying. Bullet sponge enemies for instance just take a long time to kill. It doesn't necessarily make them harder, just time consuming.

19. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Legendery Raider has mutated. Now the extra bullet spongey thing is both fully healed and even more bullet spongey.

Also the equipment you get from it is also not going to be worth all the bullets and stimpaks you used from the fight so every time it happens it feels super rewarding.

[​IMG] : Hey guys, saw you had some problems with not constantly falling to your death, let me help you with that.

20. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The 'z' peices in Tetris >.>
    Not the answer you're looking for? Okay, mooks with high speed stats in turn-based combat. They're typically not the most fun fights anyways so being dealt hangnails and generally being sneezed on by something that you proceed to one-hit that turn is just irksome. I mean, it kind of guarantees that the mooks fulfill their purpose of wearing down the party slightly before the boss but it just makes me sigh.

fizzly and starlight dream like this.