??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey nio. Good to see your still writing code! :)

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yeah I love that as well. I was thinking to work on that right away once MZ come out. @Dalph

+ Multiple currencies system.

Multiple currencies is one of my favorite features in an RPG. Playing Secret of Evermore way back when got me intrigued on the idea, even though it's implementation in the game wasn't super interesting, it added so much "flavor".

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wish the trailers came in english, screenshots are also half japanese too aaa-:kaocry:

It's a snazzy infoless trailer to newer or potential rpg maker fans but I laughed cuz all the words actually translated in the trailer are the only ones I probably could have understood in japanese xD

Not to say I'm not hype I just can maybe has pixel movement now?

Last edited:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey nio. Good to see your still writing code! :)
yeah! well I was mainly using Unity for programming but MZ just got me excited!

Multiple currencies is one of my favorite features in an RPG. Playing Secret of Evermore way back when got me intrigued on the idea, even though it's implementation in the game wasn't super interesting, it added so much "flavor".
yeah I love multiple currencies and it's not something often seing in RM games since well technically there's no nice way of implementing it. Although from the 'unconfirmed' leaks that I saw on MZ it would simplify the use of that : D

I want to work on many plugins and the main reason why I wasn't enjoying doing plugins in MV was in how tedious it was to do so.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope there’ll be some updates to the Set move route to make cutscene creation a bit easier. Like move to x direction y step(s)/tile(s) instead of adding a bunch of move right/left or other directions, and sometimes you have to count it if you’ve added enough steps.
They added a function that visually shows you the move route as its drawn in MV Trinity, so I'm guessing they'll stick with that.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@nio kasgami:
Ho Nio! You no write descriptions of future plugins in nionese uh? : D

or else people cannot use!
It way too TEDIOUS to read instruction! D :

Seriously, even my nionese isn't good.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I've noticed and someone probably missed, is that the trailer is NOT aimed to newbies.
It doesn't tell "Welcome to RPGMAKER the tool for making RPG with ease", but instead tell about differences from previous release (that a newbie probably doesn't know). To me sound as a bad practice - or simply hint you that this release is just a deluxe version and you can stick to the old one. My concern is about the strange policy of locking out previous plugins, I don't see any reason for the leaked features to justify such logic (if not by re-selling the prouct full price to previous customers - legit, anyway).

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
They added a function that visually shows you the move route as its drawn in MV Trinity, so I'm guessing they'll stick with that.
I think that might've been one of the changes intended to make console development easier, and that will be reverted for the main RPG Maker release. There's a chance I'm wrong but I think it's low.
That being said, I haven't used Trinity.

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I think that might've been one of the changes intended to make console development easier, and that will be reverted for the main RPG Maker release. There's a chance I'm wrong but I think it's low.
That being said, I haven't used Trinity.
I really hope they keep it for MZ (and all the other Trinity features that seem cool, too). Even if was specifically for a console release, Move Routes are something that haven't evolved at all since the RPG Maker 2000 days...

CrasheR

PastaLaVista
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A customizable shop layout in MZ would be interesting to see.
I always liked to see the seller portrait and reactions towards the player buying/selling goods, it's also fun to chat with them making the whole thing less boring.

I think Undertale does it well:
View attachment 148716
It's pretty simple to do something like that with events. Just few pictures, switches, variables and 10 minutes of time. I think they should focus on something more useful like off grid movement. Etc.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I've noticed and someone probably missed, is that the trailer is NOT aimed to newbies.
It doesn't tell "Welcome to RPGMAKER the tool for making RPG with ease", but instead tell about differences from previous release (that a newbie probably doesn't know). To me sound as a bad practice - or simply hint you that this release is just a deluxe version and you can stick to the old one. My concern is about the strange policy of locking out previous plugins, I don't see any reason for the leaked features to justify such logic (if not by re-selling the product full price to previous customers - legit, anyway).
I must remind you that they're hiding the big info, almost all of it in the stuff they'd show right off the bat in a "look at this new engine!" trailer, so this is reiterating everyone's point that this videogame-style dripfeed sucks and everyone hates it. By the time preorders etc. open I'm guessing a longer trailer will be out.

But "Strange policy"? This confusion over plugins is so headache-inducing. All updates to the core engine can break existing plugins. Because plugins read from the engine, if the engine changes, the plugins can't read it the old way, and subsequently, they break. Even small updates in MV's lifetime broke plugins. This is true of pretty much every "code what makes the thing happen" ever made, no matter the context, from game mods to the program's own code within the dev cycle. They're not "locking the plugins out", it is literally impossible to maintain the core code and update it in such a way that MV plugins have functionality.

Think of it like this; A hypothetical game engine has the task "play music". A plugin uses the "play music" function to create footstep sounds. The core is updated to split tracks into "play bgm" and "play sfx". The plugin, which draws from "play music", will no longer function, because "play music" does not exist. Many updates do this on a much more granular scale, and the breaks can be caused even by a slight restructuring/streamlining of the way it specifically says "play music"; for example, if "play music" stays but still requires a specification "bgm" or "sfx", the footstep code still wouldn't be able to work, because it doesn't expect it would have to specify. It would break. If "play music" is folded into a play menu along with "play animation" and "play movie", again, because the footstep code doesn't accommodate for the restructure, it will not be able to use the function. It breaks. What about case-sensitive code? If "play music" becomes "Play Music", even if everything else is identical, oops! All broken.

A new stand-alone engine is a good thing, because if they just updated MV with all this new stuff, it would irrevocably destroy 5 years of user created plugins for more in-engine functionality. This way, people are free to use MV's collection of plugins in MV and new plugins can be clearly differentiated, instead of "before and after the Update Apocalypse That Killed Every Plugin". It would be frankly absolutely bonkers to do it any other way.

Driftwood Gaming

https://discord.gg/DriftwoodGaming OfficialPartner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@K2loid thank you. You've summed it up for people very well. Some people won't read that so here's the TLDR of the matter(also what K2loid is saying)... They didn't 'decide' to not allow MV plugins in MZ. It's impossible to make them work for it without the plugins themselves being modified.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The strange policy I want to know about is whether or not I can copy-paste tilesets from MV's DLC tileset example projects into MZ's tileset tab. I don't want to redo all those passage maps by hand, especially ones with a lot of extra stuff on them ;_; soooo tedious.

AfroditeOhki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't read all those pages and honestly I can't focus enough to do so - can anyone tell me if we would be able to purchase MZ just to use its RTP on MV? At this point, MZ would have to be game-breakingly better than MV for me to switch over, as my game is well into development and completely relies on the huge amount of plugins it uses.

Edit: yes, I know plugins wouldn't be able to be ported over and it's not their fault, I'm not complaining, just hoping I can get something good for my purposes out of this new release :)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm just going to bring up an example of something that is already mentioned as to why MV plugins won't work:

Just the changes to the way the code plays music, which fixes the issues with the delay before start with long files, would break a lot of plugins that deal with music in any way.

And that is just a tiny tiny change compared to how much the code has changed. Trust me, the code has been changed a LOT.

@AfroditeOhki Yep, MZ resources can be used in MV. The only graphics resources that are not compatible are:

1. Battle Animations
2. Generator parts (and that is more about them not matching the new bases)

All sound based resources are compatible.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The strange policy I want to know about is whether or not I can copy-paste tilesets from MV's DLC tileset example projects into MZ's tileset tab. I don't want to redo all those passage maps by hand, especially ones with a lot of extra stuff on them ;_; soooo tedious.

You won't be able to copy paste directly from MV to MZ, but we have a solution for this... more info on that in a couple of weeks.

I too hate doing the passages for tilesets...

AfroditeOhki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AfroditeOhki Yep, MZ resources can be used in MV. The only graphics resources that are not compatible are:

1. Battle Animations
2. Generator parts (and that is more about them not matching the new bases)

All sound based resources are compatible.

Nice! Hmm so the character sprite style has changed then? Aww that's a shame, I was hoping for more sprites that went along well with the sprites I'm already using in my game - but I guess not a lot of people would be happy with the same "RTP look" that a lot of naysayers try to avoid like the plague so I was expecting a change in that.

Map tilesets though, if they work together with MV ones well I'll be a happy camper for new stuff :) (I do better editing character sprites than map sprites anyway).

License terms continue being the same? As in, you can use MZ assets in any RPG Maker version as long as you own MZ, even for commercial games?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, the license stays the same.

Also the map tilesets have a compatible format but probably shouldn't be used directly beside MV tiles. The saturations/colors are different. Without any adjustments I feel like they would clash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So here we go again with my programming. Currently I don't know what to program, so I am just doing things to see what I can make. Currently just photoshop though :/ Join in if you wish to see the stream. Very exclusive, mostly just 1-2 people watching.
I'm feeling rough today, a bit too many last night I'd say. Still have no choice to work on Corpse Mansion. That and I got. bunch of sales last night. I was like wtf this morning? Next payout is gonna be nice at least.
I'm just so close to replacing LUK with a different stat, maybe DEX but we'll see.
Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duy140502