Your opinions on a "Darkest Dungeon" type of game?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by KawaiiKid, Nov 21, 2017.

1. KawaiiKid

KawaiiKid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So how do you guys think this type of game would pan out in a turn based side view type of system that we have in rpg maker?

2. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Honestly saying... I don't like this kind of genre for a RPG. I prefer the colorful ones.

But, with skill and creativity, anything can fit well in the side view battle system of RPG Maker.

3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Can you please expand on what Darkest Dungeon is like (I've seen clips on Mark Brown's channel, but I've never played it), what the gameplay differences would be between the actual DD and what you have in mind for RPG Maker, and what you feel the main challenges and appeals might be in an RM-based version of it?

With that info, we could probably offer something helpful.

4. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wavelength

I suggest you go to YouTube and look up a review of Darkest Dungeon by Joseph Anderson. He highlights basically all the problems with the game and what it's like. There's a few good things, but it's like if you took Dark Souls, turned it into a game, and then rolled dice for everything and randomly lost roughly 40% of the time... and then had to spend 10 more hours to roll up a new character after losing one.

---
    That being said, yeah I think you could make a "Darkest Dungeon" type RPG with RPG Maker. I honestly don't think it'd be that difficult. And, hey, Darkest Dungeon did well, so there's obviously a market for it out there.

HumanNinjaToo likes this.
  5. Njghtcrawler

Njghtcrawler Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was thinking about implementing the concept of having characters at different ranges during an encounter in my project, much like DD but like you said, from a side view turn-based RPG style. I am new to RPGMaker and only know enough coding to know that it isn't easy :(
    I think this would be a fresh and awesome battle system (at least the way it's pictured in my head), but I wouldn't be able to do this on my own and would need help to build it or tell me if it is even possible with RPGMV!

6. alberthk

alberthk EM[P] Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    it's basically a usual rpg, with far limited space. less items, less equipments, less level, less power.

it focused very much on player's efficiency.

and at times it can be very difficult to be efficient resource wise.

to design this level of mechanic, it is imperative that you calculate the game's difficulty and resources obtainable to balance between the fun and hard parts.

7. velan235

velan235 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    I really liked Darkest Dungeon battle mechanic, but applying to "usual JRPG" is a bit tricky

what makes DD challenging is that you have limited resource and "penalty" from overbuy resource / failed to manage sanity, thus making it's limited space actually meaningful, because you are trying to finish it as fast as possible to maintain sanity / resource.

in usual JRPG , applying DD kind of battle will just roughly increase the battle time needed in random encounter rather than extra challange , because lack of roguelike element. ie. you'll just take extra time because your strong spell is not usable in row 2

I think what makes DD mechanic shine is the roguelike element that coupled with the game

8. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I haven't played DD yet, but I'm interested with the battle system while watching my big bro playing it. Obviously I'm not familiar with sanity system and detail things on it. But I like the row system where your skill is only usable in a certain row

However, if you are applying DD battle system, might as well as you make a customized party member which is so rare in RPG Maker games nowdays. Because that kind of system works better in customized party member than fixed party member like most of JRPG-like games

9. AMGLime

AMGLime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    God, I love Darkest Dungeon. It's so fun, and so rewarding once you start to learn the mechanics of the game. Getting a similar feel for it with the default system in RMMV could be hard, but with some of Yanfly's plugins I can see you get something similar. Pretty sure I've seen Rows for Enemies and Party Members to help get that started, as well as targeted skills. Could always turn Default TP into your games version of Sanity. The big issue with Darkest Dungeon, is the balance. It's a very well balanced game, even if its pretty RNG based if you're unprepared or not really synergizing your team. Even classes that are considered "weak" are still quite powerful when played well because of how well the developers have balanced the game.

10. Njghtcrawler

Njghtcrawler Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal is to get players to think so I want my game to be difficult but not impossible. It wouldn't be unheard of, in my game, to restart a boss fight cause you wiped or finish it by the skin of your teeth with one or more characters "fainted" because the team's energy, mana, or items are depleted towards the end of the fight. I don't like participation trophies and want some failure in my game. To me a good challenge makes the reward all the sweeter. It will be story heavy so think of a novel but the medium is a game platform and not a book. I'm hoping I can emerge the players into the game instead of mindless bashing or /facerolling.
    As far as items, I know Vandal Hearts I allows each character 2 items, I like this idea of limited space cause it adds more realism imo. I wouldn't set off on a journey with 8 different gear sets, boar guts, and a million quest items in my pockets with no noticeable bulge (unless I'm really excited, I thank you). In terms of making the limited space meaningful, you got me thinking I could instead of limiting the number of slots for items to having a "weight" system where each character can carry XYZ pounds and put a fatigue factor in place, similar to the insanity from DD. At full fatigue that character is still in the fight taking damage but useless until "rested."
    And for the length of a battle, battles are conditional turn based (CTB) where each player has their own individual turn based on something (maybe agility factoring in weight, fatigue, hp, or w/e) but done in real time. It's not an ABS where you have free roam pressing hotkeys, it's still a typical RPG battle make up but basically, you can't attack until you've reached this condition to be able to attack (call it a cool down), but it is not required to select an ability/spell for everyone else to take their turn. In essence, if you hesitate to act or don't attack, the enemy will get more turns than you, or lets say you need Character A to "rest" so you decide not to attack with him and skip his turn until you are ready. With this system, I'm not at all worried about battles taking too long as this is very involved and has sort of a soft timer, as in if you don't participate you'll die, and die soon.

As of now I don't want to add customization to characters BUT i will have a full party to choose from. The fighting team will more than likely be 4 characters with 6-8 characters on the bench (haven't decided). But I think a full party of 10-12 characters should be plenty to choose from. Before anyone mentions characters falling behind on levels, I may not do levels but rather a "use it or lose it" type thing for spells and abilities, the longer in combat without Fireball the weaker it gets, who knows... if I do do exp, it would be across the board so no one gets left behind.

Thanks for that. I will look into them and see how I can make them work. I have seen Ziifee 3D Line Battle System, but this might be just for "depth," idk if i can get actual distance out of this.
    And with the "weak" classes, I prefer to think of them as situational. I'll have a pool to characters to choose from all good in their own way. For one fight you might get hit by a spell that does X damage divided equally among players so the summoner class would be good for all his/her minions to mitigate damage, where as another fight you may need all your heavy hitters to kill the enemy as quickly as possible, in which case the summoner may not be the best choice, or the priest to CC the undead, and so on. Each character is unique and has their own strengths.

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I didn't want an exact replica of DD, just something similar and I think it might be possible. Again thanks for all the input!

11. Thedemonpit

Thedemonpit Lord of the Formors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    If it is darkest dungeon like. The difficulty will make me screech but I will most likely enjoy it all the same.

12. Digi Arn

Digi Arn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I just got the game yesterday, it seems fun so far but i hear it gets very difficult. I don't mind torturing myself once and a while with games like FTL so I figured that giving it a try wouldn't be so bad. So far I enjoy the randomness of the encounters.