Your Preference Battle System in RPG Makers

What do you would like the battle system to implement in your game?

• Total voters

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since @Frostorm is not asking this question yet, I will ask the questions. I just messing with you brother and thank you for your help.

What is your favorite battle system?
-Default RPG Make SV and FV battles
-The Battle System - Charge Turn Battle present to you by Yanfly
-The Battle System - Active Turn Battle present to you by Yanfly
-The Standard Turn Battle system functions off of the Default Turn Battle
system's structure by present to you by Yanfly
- [ARPG]Chrono Engine battle system present to you by Moghunter
-[ARPG] LMBS (Linear Motion Battle System) present to you by Moghunter
-Lecode Tactical Battle System
-Tactics System 1.1 prevent to you by arleq1n
-SRPG Engine present to you by Gakuto Mikagami
-[RPG Maker MV] Real-time ARPG Battle System demo by Ivan Xu in the Youtube

What do you would like the battle system to implement in your game? [Call me out, yell at me, or waving your hands. I am sure I will miss some of them, not an avid RPG player.]
-Default RPG Make SV and FV battles
-The Battle System - Charge Turn Battle present to you by Yanfly
-The Battle System - Active Turn Battle present to you by Yanfly
-The Standard Turn Battle system functions off of the Default Turn Battle
system's structure by present to you by Yanfly
- [ARPG] Chrono Engine battle system present to you by Moghunter
- [ARPG]LMBS (Linear Motion Battle System) present to you by Moghunter
-Lecode Tactical Battle System
-Tactics System 1.1 prevent to you by arleq1n
-SRPG Engine present to you by Gakuto Mikagami
-[RPG Maker MV] Real-time ARPG Battle System demo by Ivan Xu in the Youtube

I prefer to use the default system, sorry for the players. It is easy to fix problems for me.:kaojoy:
I like tactical if I play the rpg game. I do not have to get into much of a storyline.

Thank you in advantage for your time and your consideration.

Last edited:

Drokkkon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer real time battle system.

Chrono Engine and LMBS (Linear Motion Battle System) are my favourites.

I love RPG and the way you play games at rpg maker, but the battle system is something that I would change. Well, actually not change but give options.

Do you wanna the traditional rpg style? Okay, keep using.
But, do you wanna a real time battle with more action? Here, use this plugin and go for it!

That would be nice. I mean, a lot of mobile cheap games have "rpg" battles with real time action. =p

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Drokkkon, thank you for taking the survey and your great observation too!
I like to do that too, but I am not experienced at the battle system yet. I do not want to reach the sun and get burned yet. :kaoblush:

My intention of this thread is to see how many people implement certain battle systems and players prefer which battle systems too.
If I am correct, a lot of people here are both making their own games and play rpg games here.

Last edited:

ghorba96

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Lecode and tactics by Arleq1n. I don't know why but i always loved tactical battles (the trails series introduced it to me, and i loved it since), i find it more realistic as you move in the battlefield, opposed as a sideview battle system where characters just stand in place. In the end, i think the perfect battle system for me would be a mix of tactical with TPBS

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favourite's is turn-based, but being able to select the order in which characters move each player turn, and have skills performed immediately. It gives you a lot of extra control and immediate skill activation feels more impactful.

Default MV is fine for what it is, it just feels slower due to it queueing up orders and then performing them all at once at the end, resulting in longer downtime each turn.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Since we're going with plugin names, I'd probably going to put in a vote for my "Grid Battle system", on top of an active battle system where actors and enemies move when they're ready to make a move. Add some cast-time on top to give it some extra strategy.

Get that classic final fantasy ATB goodness while not being stuck to one square.

Cyberhawk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait no Octopath, Pressturn, Instant turn Battle system option?
I like Active, the most when i play RPGs (it keeps me from snoozing) and Strategy (like Fire emblem). But I enjoy working w/ OTB the most. however Default is the easiest and quickest to work with and make balance changes without having to disrupt the battle flow/control you want entirely. I'd like Standard but can't have enemies move twice without giving them instant skills.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like Standard but can't have enemies move twice without giving them instant skills.
That's not true. You can make enemies move multiple times in the same turn by chaining force skill commands via common events triggered through skills.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am a big fan of tactical RPG systems, and in my theoretic bucket list I'd play more. That said, I am perfectly content with the front-view battle system. Yes, my Dragon Quest bias is showing.

Side-view seems a pain to make assets for, especially beyond 2k3, due to graphical fidelity. On top of that, I'm not a fan of active-time battles, which makes 2k3 a huge turnoff for me (outside of harvesting assets). Alternatively, a system akin to Phantasy Star 2 and 4 also seems cool -- show the backs of active characters facing enemies in the backdrop, and animate them when attacking, casting spells, using items, etc.

Outside of a default front-view battle system, I'd *love* to include a charge time battle system. Delay Attack, Haste, Slow, and other goodies from Final Fantasy X were fun mechanics.

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the style of grid/strategy jrppgs like Fire Emblem or Langrisser. It really challenges my usual method of thinking.

Which is no thinking :kaoswt2:

Idk why, it's the style for me.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RachelTheSeeker, thank you for stopping by. There is many choices for devs to think about, right.
@ItsAri, thank you for stop by. I have an inattentive problem, sorry. It is good that you can go forth with the challenge method.

@Tsukihime, we talked about your MZ video in the Driftwood Gaming, just let you know.

@Frostorm made a tactical RPG game.

Last edited:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like the style of grid/strategy jrppgs like Fire Emblem or Langrisser. It really challenges my usual method of thinking.

Which is no thinking :kaoswt2:
Agreed about tactical RPGs. JRPG fights can feel like slogs, especially random ones; tactical fights have a lot more to consider such as placement on the map, what direction the foe's in, attack range, spell AoE, and whether or not you can reach a character in time to revive or heal them. Heck, not every tactical game allows you to revive mid-fight, and most that don't use permadeath.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BURNING_JUSTICE_Games, sorry to call you out. I am not sure. Is your battle system standard right? I mean it is a virtual novel, but you have a battle system too. I am referring to Super Crisis Academia.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
LeCode's TBS (LTBS) is by LeCode, and not Arleq1n. It should evident by having his name in the plugin lol.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostor, nevermind it is my brain is processing wrong. I misread some words in @ghorba96 comments. :cutesmile: And change texts on the top without thinking. Sorry for @ghorba96 jump the gun on you.
Lecode Tactical Battle System (LeTBS) Version 0.77.2

@Frostorm, anyhow what do you like play in terms of the battle systems and what you do use in your game?:smile:

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo I'm using LTBS for my current project. Btw, might I suggest Cross Engine? It's basically a more modern remake of Chrono Engine that's essentially Chrono Engine + Altimit Movement. You might also want to include STB (by Yanfly) / OTB (by Olivia) which are essentially the same thing. They're basically Octopath's battle system.

For turn-based games, I like systems where a unit is allowed 2 turns if their Speed is at least double that of another unit. I also enjoy tactical RPGs in general. I usually don't like ARPGs as much for single-player games, since I usually like to take my time for anything involving single-player. I like ARPGs in MMOs though.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't we have an option for customized battle system? I always code my own battle systems. But yeah, I'm a huge fan of tactics battles.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is anyone play Xenoblade Chronicles 2? What do you think about that battle system?
It has Combo Attacks Guide and Party Gauge. We can do this with Yanfly Plugins if you use the turn-based system.

@Frostorm, you talk about Persona 5 battle system, correct? The knockdown system gifts the combatants with additional turns.

I like systems where a unit is allowed 2 turns if their Speed is at least double that of another unit
Great idea on using the speed of action to determine the order of actions.

Don't we have an option for customized battle system? I always code my own battle systems.
I can only have 10 choices in the poll, sorry. Please tell me about your customized battle system.

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ATB and tactics. I like ATB when I want something faster, but still some thinking involved, and tactics when I want some hardcore strategy. I just have never used tactics in my games because it's hard to set up, LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!
Day 2 of teaching MV, student can move cat across the map.
Got inspired and started writing a simple tower defence battle system last night :o
Good news! I have located an amazing 3D website called SketchFab that has rotatable renderings of famous statues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr