Your weak point in gaming (there is a noob in all of us)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Churro, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My question:

What is your absolute weak point:kaomad2: in games which is somehow really easy for other people ?

Mine:
    Musical riddles!!! For example if you have to hear a melody or a sound and replay it.
    The game Witness tortured me with a big level only with musical riddles and i totally failed at all of them XD
    An in Zelda Botw i can not figure out the shrine where the little birds sing and you have to repeat the melody.
    I am sooo unmusical ;_;

kaukusaki likes this.
  2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mine: Inputting combos in any kind of fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken (inputting combos in Monster Hunter is a different story)

Churro likes this.
  3. Tiamat-86

Tiamat-86 old jrpg gamer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that shrine is colour coded. u dont even need to hear them.

my weakness is expecting puzzles to be more complicated then they actually are and just overlooking the obvious
    id spend an hour tryin comlicated solutions and wondering if i missed some clue when its really just a 2step puzzle

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Navigation (which is also one of my weaknesses in real life)! :kaoblush:

I get lost ALL THE TIME even in places where the pathfinding is supposed to be easy.

kaukusaki and Churro like this.
  5. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tiamat-86 Thank you for the advice! Omg i have to try that out (it seems that i have more than one weakness XD).
    I imagine it quite funny thinking like Einstein for hours about a formula and than the riddle is solved by just doing an easy thing.

@JtheDuelist Your weak point is actually my strong point :) at pc you can use macros (no one will see)XD

@Wavelength That is a time consuming weakness XD Finding the right way can really take hours in some games

6. 10kk

10kk Parallel Process irl Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Over exploration / looking for secrets that aren't there.

Some games do very well with having a veil of mystery and making the world feel bigger than it actually is. Even pokemon games throw a red herring in and make you wonder wtf is the significance of this one thing in the world.

Game I design right now with rpgmaker will have a lot of this optional content hidden in.

Churro likes this.
  7. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @10kk Actually that's really a cool weakness! So you can spend more time with a game and still have fun :)

8. Raijinn

Raijinn YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa, English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Staying on the story and not fooling around

Churro likes this.
  9. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1. Text adventure and the riddles behind it. There was a game that has cool gameplay, but then it mixed up with a random text adventure
    2. Trying not to get panic in every time limit challenge game. Like you have a few second / mins / turns before you fail. I hate this mechanic

kaukusaki and Matseb2611 like this.
  10. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Analog sticks. I became so used to d-pad movement even to the point where if I needed to run in a direction in between one of normal 8, I can just naturally oscillate between the straight and diagonal directions to get that extra precision. Then the industry essentially moved back to joysticks and I became worthless. I'm totally not wired for it any longer.

11. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Things I tend to be kind of bad at in games:

- Extremely good reactions in a competitive multiplayer scene. I can do ok at times, but dayum, I get nervous and itchy all the time and it's not a relaxing experience at all.
    - Staying interested when there is too much being thrown at you at once with a steep learning curve and too many mechanics to learn. There are some exceptions of course, but generally I lose patience very fast.
    - Losing progress or not feeling like any is being made. I really can't stand this. Unless if the game is really addictive and has me hooked, the chances are, if I've lost a lot of progress or can't make any, then I lose interest and move on to something else.

- Edit: Just remembered another one. When puzzles are not logical at all and expect too much experimentation. Like, oh really, so I was supposed to take this magic lamp and take it to that one obscure corner of the map that looks identical to every other, then wait till it struck midnight to see a hidden message, which vaguely tells me to walk over a light switch and press it exactly 37 times? I am simply unable to think like this where anything goes. I kind of always expect things to be logical and make sense.

kaukusaki likes this.
  12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    QTE's. I'm awful at them. And if you make them mandatory there's a chance I'll never get past them and will never finish the game.

kaukusaki and Matseb2611 like this.
  13. Robin Hoot

Robin Hoot Veteran Veteran

Dance/Rhythm games, which is very frustrating because I absolutely love the genre. :rsad:

14. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    QTEs for me too. I'm useless at them.
    Very quick reflex minigames. I'm out of here if they are needed to progress the game.

15. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I consider myself fairly good at gaming.
    I even kinda confident with my skills at fighting games and SRPGs.
    But give me an fps.
    Dead without even have a chance to do anything truly sucks. xD

Frogboy likes this.
  16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm seriously trying to think of something, but I can't. I'm generally fairly good at most games/mechanics...

EDIT: Crap, no just realized what it is, from someone mentioning fighting games. When it comes to playing against real live people in 2d Fighters, I don't have yomi. Not in real time. Give me something turn based and I'll be able to predict 8 moves ahead (I play a lot of board games), but in real time speed required for 2d fighters, I just can't predict that well.

(I can also predict better in games that are a bit slower paced. I do well enough in Overwatch and can predict what people will do, but fighting games are SO FAST, and you have to know so much to counter.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    EpicFILE likes this.
  17. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Multi player. Fighting games against the AI, I can do but back in the day at the arcade or now online, nope. FPS online multiplayer, dead really quick, campaign or story mode, I can beat the game no problem. I'm not talking about putting it on easy either, I just suck at multiplayer games.

Rhythm games, not even remotely close to good, nor am I interested.

EpicFILE and Frogboy like this.
  18. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Button combos. Too many combos to memorize, too much effort to time the button presses.
    First-person perspective. Too narrow, range of motion too limiting. Could never get used to it. (I've still won several rounds of Halo by staying hidden while other players shot each other!)

EpicFILE likes this.
  19. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You play go?

20. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @OnslaughtSupply : How could I forget rhythm games? I am soooo bad at those. I bought Project Diva F2 on sale just to try one, and I still have a couple of songs I cannot clear...on easy. Yep, I'm that bad (though I have cleared the song Packaged on Hard, after 5 hours of trying, so maybe there is a little hope for me?)

@Failivrin : You wouldn't win Halo the way we play that way, as we always play first to 25. So if you aren't getting kills you can't win. But we also play rockets only, small map, no radar. We figure since we don't play the game enough to be any good at it, why not at least have some fun at how ridiculous our settings are.