YouTube Game Playthroughs-What to Edit

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Ragpuppy87, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So now that my project's beta has been released, I plan on recording a playthrough for my YouTube Channel.

I'm wondering what to include though and what to edit out. Do I keep in every single random enemy encounter for example?
    Or the time searching for that one rare item drop needed to complete a side quest? Shopping? Menu stuff? Playing the same 30 second minigame 250 times in order to unlock something else?

I've never done something like this so any advice would be welcome.

2. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's hard to say, because the answer won't come from what you're recording, but rather who you're expecting to watch it, and why. Do you know the answers to those?

If it's just that you want a record of the game, then you probably just want to record everything - but most people wouldn't watch that.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Maker Casual. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Overly Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on the type of playthrough you are doing. If you are doing like a walkthrough style, you just need to show what you need to do. I'd cut most random encounters out. You can show a few of them if you wish to showcase some of the attacks, but so it isn't super tedious, you can cut most of the encounters out after that.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Is this a playthrough for your game? If so, wait for your player's feedback. Wait for them which part is hard, then you do a playthrough. Make a full walkthrough from the dev feels weird for me as it defeat LP video.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  6. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To elaborate a bit, the playthrough I have in mind is meant primarily as a way to share the game with people who would otherwise be unable to play it themselves for one reason for another. It could of course serve as a video walkthrough at the same time.

7. Dutch Power Creations

Dutch Power Creations Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Do 1 thing at a time if it will serve as a full playthrough and time stamp things while your playing it.

00:00 - 02:50 Intro game
    02:50 - 15:40 Mini game play through + special unlock
    15:40 - 45:20 1st dungeon (or even specify it further if needed)

Guess you will get the idea.

You could also just cut the play through into sections and upload them seperated and label them for people. That just kinda depends on the person what he likes more and as a gamer myself I rather like it to search in the top bar of youtube and exactly get what I want to see. So I would suggest cutting your game into sections and just show the important things rather than a full play through.

My 50 cents hope it helps to make a descision.