Youtube Monetization

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by RATED-RKOFRANKLIN, May 10, 2012.

1. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

RATED-RKOFRANKLIN Cardfight!! Vanguard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have noticed lately that some RPG Maker developers have joined Youtube's monetization program. They are adding ads with videos that feature their games. Some game reviewers are following suit.

However, youtube rejected my ACE tutorial video that I made myself. Does my RPG Maker licences allow making money from tutorials?

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Maybe you have cases where you use copyrighted music or something? Maybe they have a minimum amount of views per vid requirement, etc.

3. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    I don't use copyrighted music. I only use the rpg maker music that I have licenses to use.

I had a similar problem a few years ago when a company was claiming that they owned my commercial game. Youtube gave me warnings to uploading videos for my game.

4. GemFall

GemFall Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, you may be thinking of AdWords, a service Google does. If you own everything in your videos, and I THINK you would with a game trailer(check the RPGM TOS to be sure or await a staff response) you should be fine.. You don't need beaucoup subs for this sort of thing. It is iffy to do on LPs in my opinion, dependent on company(obviously if you get permission from an indie gamer maker, should be fine!). It is also worth noting some people without the partner Youtube status(what you can apply for with a ton of subscribers and views), have adwords enabled on their videos and can get by. It does require some maintaining though, I think. 100% original content though? Youtube/Google LOVES that stuff.

Here's Google's Adwords info:

http://support.googl...n&answer=116899

You can access the page to handle this right from Youtube, by I believe the last option under the dropdown in the video manager.

Of course- beware the copyright trolls, 3rd party companies who "claim" parts of videos they don't own for a profit to run their own ads on your content for supposed Content ID matches. Seems you've already had a run-in with this.:X

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  5. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    This situation has become very odd. I spoke to Enterbrain. They gave me permission to also profit from tutorials. However, Youtube is not accepting this. I also gave them documents proving this.

@EntranseStudios

I ran into copyright trolls last year. That situation was never resolved and I removed the video.

6. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It has nothing to do with the RPG Maker license. You need to contact youtube to see what's going on (good luck with that...)

7. BlackNekos

BlackNekos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As a partner on YouTube, I can say that RPG Maker's EULA allows videos to be recorded and uploaded, what you are not allowed to do is upload illegal content i.e. Where to download it for free (Piracy) only the legal way. Where as with monetization, YouTubers can monetize their videos but there are rules to this and the big one is "Own all content" that means Music, Video and Everything in the video. Technically, with RPG Maker, as long as you have got a legal license, then you are able to monetize. But what someone at enterbrain can do is make sure that you have a valid license otherwise you will be getting a strike for copyright.

If you have any questions, and I know you watch my videos, and you know I do content on RPG Maker and I can get money from it.

8. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    It seems like this is another problem that may never get resolved. It is odd that Youtube accepts the license for game videos to be monetized but refuses to allow licensed tutorials to be monetized.

I have a legal license. That isn't the problem.

9. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Did youtube tell you specifically that this is the reason it was being taken down or are you assuming this is the reason?

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  10. BlackNekos

First Language:
    English
    Sometimes the smallest thing like an image can make a whole difference.

11. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    Youtube told me montization was removed for this reason. Youtube told me in an email that they are unsure if I have the right to profit for the video. They do allow me to profit from my game footage. That doesn't make sense why they only accept the license for certain videos. Every video only contains licence materials. I responded by sending them a copy of the EULA. Youtube has ignored the response.

Once again I have a licence for the video. I own everything in the video.

12. BlackNekos

First Language:
    English
    YouTube is picky about games... even if it is tutorials as anything considered games, you must own by their logic.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is the tutorial? Is it something to do with using the game engine to MAKE something? YouTube may be okay with you profiting from a game you've made (the EULA says you can distribute games using the resources included), but if it's a tutorial showing how to do something in the editor, that may be the issue - they would see a video featuring the editor as being different to a video featuring a game made with the editor. Does the EULA belong to the engine itself, or to the RTP?

Could I also suggest that you don't try and be fancy with formatting in your post? It's not doing what you're intending, but it IS causing your text to get smaller and smaller with each tag, making it a little difficult to read.

14. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    This situation is getting worse. Youtube rejected another video. This video shows gameplay footage. Apparently Youtube does not recognize the EULA.

Youtube says that a person must have permission of the copyright holder to monetize game footage videos. Since I am making the game I have the rights to it. I hope Youtube isn't going to start being bias to Indie developers and reviewers. I read on the Youtube help forums that a person's Indie review videos are being rejected. This person has permission to review the games and make profit.

I contacted Enterbrain about this problem. They told me that they are fined with me profiting for tutorial videos.

Sorry about the text. I have no idea what happen with the text. I didn't do anything to change the text. It randomly appeared like that.

15. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    maybe you could ask enterbrain if they can contact youtube and tell them about the licenses?

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But what is your video - is it game footage, or a tutorial with the engine itself?

I'd keep trying to contact YouTube and explain to them that you DO have permission to use everything in the video. Offer to put them in contact with Enterbrain if they require further proof.

17. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

First Language:
    English
    I may just have to do this.

One of the videos is just game footage. It is a simple preview to introduce a new character. The other video is a tutorial. I asked Enterbrain if this was okay to profit from and they told me yes. I've been trying to contact Youtube for about two weeks. They haven't responded to anything.

This does worry me a bit.

18. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Rated could you send me a PM, I just want to figure out who all you talked to and see if I could help you out.

FenixFyreX likes this.
  19. Mitchell

Mitchell Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm pretty sure you talked to me about this. As far as we (Degica/EB) are concerned, it is fine for you to make money off your youtube videos showing RPG Maker in action (tutorials, playthroughs etc.) If you can find out from Youtube what they require from you/us to make this happen then we are more than happy to provide it (or do our best to).

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
    Shaz likes this.
  20. BlackNekos

First Language:
    English
    RATED, I assume this is the video you are wanting monitized:

and I also assume you are trying to claim from both Audio and Visual?

What I would recommend is only claiming for the Visual aspect.

Oh, and if YouTube has disabled Monetization, it's because there has been invalid clicks... I had the same thing, I lost monetization option after a few hours.