RMMV Youtube play throughs

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by just1witness, Nov 8, 2017.

1. just1witness

just1witness Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everybody!

I figured I would do a few playthroughs of some of the games entered in the 2017 IGMC contest on my youtube channel.

I will post links to each one here and update as I do more!

This was a very enjoyable game! I encountered a bug about 20 minutes in, but it is playable, the developer informed me that you have to click the table next to the bed in the characters bedroom. It has awesome custom graphics and a great script. I had a part two but my screen recorder messed it up, so here is the playthrough up to the bug, you'll just have to play it yourself to see the rest! ;)

This is a visually delightful game that obviously had a lot of effort put into it. It has a nice story although I think a lot of it is lost in translation. It was nice to play at to take in the visuals.

This game looks like it has SOOO much potential! Unfortunately it was too buggy for me to complete. Don't give up FizzlyMike, I'll play your game when you finish it!

Dear Edwin is a very well done visual novel style game, the art is fantastic, the dialog is witty and smooth (although I couldn't see the words well due to the font and transparent windows... and my blindness, haha) Even though I reallllllyyyyyyy don't like detective stories, this one was as engaging as they can get for me. Some of the dialog seemed... drawn out. And there should either be better descriptions and repetitions of goals, or some kind of quest log. It wraps up very nicely with an ending they doesn't leave you scratching your head. This team did a wonderful job with this and I would love to see any future development projects they churn out!

This is a SUPER cute game about KITTENS!!! I loved the sprite graphics and the cuteness of the kitten dialog, each one had their own unique personality, which is cool. Unfortunately, be it my fault or by game bug I could not progress past a certain point. I enjoyed what I could play very much, good job JAF!!!

Part 2

I loved this game!!!!! Rhino, you did an excellent job! The dialog was wonderful, it was interactive enough to keep my attention throughout and it told such a touching story!! Great job! :D

I love the graphics and music in this game. It's also wonderfully weird, which I find awesome. However, I couldn't finish it, I was defeated by turds.

This is an Rpg Maker... Rpg Maker simulation game. I decided to do this LP in two parts, so this is part one! I'll share my impressions of the game in part two. So far I can say it seems very well made.

OK, I'm sooooo sorry PotatobrainGames. I didn't like this game, but that's only because I have the attention span of a mosquito and found it tiresome, just not my thing. The game quality is TOP notch you did a great job! Please don't let my opinion bother you, this game is very well done and great quality for people who enjoy sim games, good job!

Check out the partial review for this awesome IGMC 2017 entry, it is well made, the music is great, the quality is great and the dialog is just wonderful. (this is a partial review because of technical difficulties for the first half and because I'm just not very good at it...) I can't wait to see this expanded, it seems to just be screaming for a full length release! Great work @hadecynn :)

This IGMC entry is about a man who has dementia. It is a wonderful game as it highlights a common occurrence that our elders face. At first it seems a little puzzling, but the developer does and excellent job of slowly piecing together a story to bring it all to a close. I hope he expands this idea! (sorry about the reduce video quality, I am again fiddling with new software for video recording)

This was a cool demo made for the IGMC 2017, for what is certain to be a fun game! I love the nonsense dialog the art and the music. NJ4K, let me know when this is done, I would love to finish playing it! :)

Come on down and watch me get trolled by the maker of the IGMC 2017 entry Mouse House! (If you are not trying to troll people, you fooled me and I am sorry)

Wow! Can I say wow? WOW! This game took my by surprise, it was soooooooooooo simple and blank, yet psychologically engaging! I LOVE the thought process of this game!

Well, what can I say, this game is fun! I loved being able to slap the boring NPC's.

This is a cool little puzzle game that I enjoyed thoroughly as did my son, I would love to see this expanded. Good Job @Nutty171!

This is really cool game! You play as a little flame trying to add light to a dark world. I get owned a lot and don't finish so if you want to see the end you'll have to try it yourself!! ;P

This would be a good game to just pass the the time, I'm not sure there's a real objective other than to play hide and seek. The graphics are all custom and pretty cute.

This games looks pretty cool, I am curious to see how it ends, unfortunately it has a game breaking bug so I only get so far.

This is a confusing game, nice custom graphics. I'm genuinely curious about it's story, but at this point I'm not sure if it really has one, the actions are tedious and seem to lead nowhere. I think this idea has a lot of potential though.

This game might be good, it might be bad, I have no way of knowing since I couldn't get out of the first room. (I made it out of the first room, check out part 2)

A really cool game, made by a really cool guy, the DrassMann. Or as he calls himself DrassRay, or @JacobM . Look at these graphics! This game is polished and visually extravagant! Good work DrassDude, I look forward to future developments. :)

A cool little game in the flavor of Alice and wonderland. Honestly I was pretty confused by the whole thing, but then again, that may just be the point! :)

This is a cool little game! It ticked me off at one point because I couldn't figure out what to do... hence a part 1 and part 2. But still overall I think it's a solid game, very well written, custom graphics and not buggy! :)

Interesting little game with some not half bad beats, lol.

Whaaaa????

This seems like a cool game, I love the art. Th battles are tedious and unbalanced in my opinion though.

This entry to the 2017 IGMC indie game making contest is a lot fo fun to play, I regret that the English translation makes it so difficult to complete. I love the concept, it is does a good job of keeping you engaged. @readydotexe

A lovely and very well done game. I would suggest anyone play this at least once.

Wow! I am astounded at the masterful way this game tells a story, and in such a short time. This was by far my IGMC entry so far! Check it out! :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    schlitty, motta, Dalph and 18 others like this.
  2. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's wonderful that you're doing this. Really gives everybody a great opportunity to learn and improve for the next run. Thanks!

just1witness likes this.
  3. Jaiden

Jaiden RMXP Fiend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Awesome! I'll keep eyes on this thread, too.

just1witness likes this.
  4. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The caterpillar game was pretty laggy. I'm guessing that's because of the parallax maps. Enjoying the reviews. Keep it up!

just1witness likes this.
  5. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No it wasn't actually laggy. I switched screen capture software recently and was still perfecting the settings. The rest of the videos from now on though, if you see lag, it's because there is lag.

Just added Dear Edwin.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    futrchamp, Gabrelik and FleshToDust like this.
  6. futrchamp

futrchamp Musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks so much for playing Dear Edwin! Checking out the playthrough now :) Glad to see you found some of the cameo appearances haha!

just1witness likes this.
  7. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much for your review! I've just completed "Understood" and placed a review on your page. Wonderful job with that, by the way! :D

just1witness and Frogboy like this.
  8. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gabrelik Thank you!!

Just uploaded a new LP for Catharsis

9. Ennacrima

Ennacrima Artist Member

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Keeping an eye on this topic, since a video could answer to my worst fear: What if the game lags?
    Since my game is imbued with the music, we arranged several tricks to prevent that.
    Looking forward to watch it. ^ ^

just1witness likes this.
  10. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just added part one of Maker of Dreams by PotatobrainGames

11. hadecynn

hadecynn Monstructor Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @just1witness !

Thanks again for doing an LP for Monstruct! You were probably too tired during the first part so you missed some of the important stuff the tutorial went over and that's what's giving you a lot of trouble. Some tips to help if you're still interested in finishing the game:

1. You can equip different pieces of music on Geists's Wingbuds (think of it like Armor in traditional RPGs). Different music will give you different amounts of CP/SP. If you use the piece that Lilith gave you, you'll have more CP to work with.

2. You can learn stronger Techniques by going to the Technique menu in the Main Menu. The Gargoyle and Dragons are balanced to require you to use make use of new Techniques.

3. You can learn about what each status effect does by pressing "Page Up" during Geist's turn. "Soften" makes it easier to raise Progress (but harder to raise Quality), while "Harden" makes it easier to raise Quality (but harder to raise Progress). For the Dragon that you're having trouble with, since it Softens itself up during the beginning, you can use that to your advantage and have a much easier time getting its Progress up before you harden it to concentrate on its Quality.

BTW, you were super (un)lucky(?) and ran into a rare bug where, due to rounding differences between the displayed Progress and the actual Progress (by 1), the Gargoyle didn't disintegrate even though it looked like it should have. That will be fixed. LOL

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    just1witness likes this.
  12. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hadecynn That makes a lot more sense, lol.
    I am wiped after this competition! I keep getting a bunch of sleep, but as soon as I sit down I start dozing off again!
    Thank you for the explanation :) I would love to finish the game, I'm curious about the ending.

Added an LP for Joseph of Descentia, by Psenough

13. NJ4K

NJ4K Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much for playing Subworld.

14. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NJ4K you're welcome! My pleasure :)

OP updated with Happy Slappy and Puzzle Room.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  15. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're on a roll. Look at all those games.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  16. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added Brite by Rubescen.

Rhino likes this.
  17. Rubescen

Rubescen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @just1witness Thanks so much for giving Brite a shot, it was a lot of fun watching you play it. Seeing others play really helps with figuring out balance (it was a lot easier for me, since I knew exactly what is going on haha). I did mean for it to be challenging, but I definitely need to better telegraph to the player how the boss' water attack works.

To answer a few of your questions:
    • For the general idea, I was just interested in doing something with non-human/animal characters... Originally it was going to be a candle with a few more gameplay mechanics, but I simplified it to a floating flame...
    • The music is all custom by me (and yes, proper looping is off on several of the songs -- rushed for contest :().
    • The character sprites are by me as well, with the exception of the flame character, which is just a modification of the rtp flame.
    In any case, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks again for the review/let's play!

just1witness likes this.
  18. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rubescen I will definitely beat it privately, I'm very curious to see how it ends. You make such nice music!!! I loved it :)

Thank you for answering my questions :D

Rubescen likes this.
  19. Marcial

Marcial Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @just1witness Hi! thanks for playing the gnome seeker and yea there's lot of things to improve, starting with the translation problems :confused:
    There's no main story, just finding gnomes, It's just that I didn't have enough time for making that so I just focus on the hide and seek.
    About the footprints, there was a zoom button so you can tell wich ones were fresh, the dry ones just lead you in the wrong direction. When I have a free time I would love to play your game.

just1witness likes this.
  20. just1witness

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marcial What's upp!!!! (sorry for butchering your name btw)

I thought it was a great concept for killing time, like long car rides and stuff. I think my kids would dig a hide and seek game. :)