Zarov's Curse

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Tiarali, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi everybody :)  I'm new around here, my boyfriend bought me a copy of RPGMaker VX Ace in the Humble Bundle, so I thought I'd try and make a simple game in time to enter in the competition.

My entry is Zarov's Curse, in which a 16 year old girl who grew up on a form is forced to go on an adventure when an evil curse descends upon the land.

Enjoy!

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/470#.U7FOrPmSySp

Farm_SS.png

Hermit_SS.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hello. I gave your game a try and it was quite a fun, short adventure.

I made a few notes as I progressed, if you would like to see them. Good luck on the contest and congratulations on finishing the game's project. I know it was too little time and a lot to learn, in my case.

- Quick intro but lacking a very interesting hook. Perhaps it was a bit rushed way to start.

- Custom battlers are original but not matching the rest. It's nice to keep consistent, but I understand the need for something different than the other monsters.

- Mapping is nice but needs some work. On the other hand, the transition areas were easy to find (which not always happens in games), and the world map was interesting.

- Simple and nice side quests with just a little bit of grinding.

- Font color is hard to read, especially during battle. At times I could not really see the damage value done to me. The standard battles are already so fast, coupled with the font, things can get confusing.

- Alchemy is intuitive and fun. It's nice to acquire items other than buying from the stores.

- Humorous dialogues. They were a few, but I am a sucker for these things.

- Short story with quick ending. The ending sequence was so quick... Perhaps you could elaborate more on what happened to Kelsi.

I have found some things worth mentioning:

In the castle, the soldier misleads the player by telling them to go left, when the stairs are to the right.A tip on the alchemy torch - limit the sprite not to change position (Fixed direction in the Event window, if I remember correctly) otherwise it will change colour or act weird depending on which direction you talk to it from.

3. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    I'll try your game for curiosity. 

4. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so very much!!!

I am absolutely kicking myself about the soldier, that was a dumb error to make (and not find before release).  The custom battler was a huge headache for me.  I couldn't find anything that would suit the story and match the game.  I ended up with something that allowed me to tell the story I wanted to tell, but it looked hideous. Some of the other things you said are really interesting and I will take on board.  Thanks again!

Silvestre likes this.
  5. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Don't sweat it, I realized some very dumb mistakes on my game as well, after sending the definite version for the contest, hehe... You can still work on it a bit if you want and release a post-competition version.

I'd love to learn what happens to Kelsi in the future if you return to her adventures.

6. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    I thought there is a event...

After a granny was dead, I thought the protagonist went cry for minutes. But it's ended quickly. lol. 
    So the game is simple, and you actually made a good simple and short game made in a month. But you need to consider to make a storyline more detailed. 

7. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I might have taken the competition directive to have a complete experience within an hour a little too literally.

Silvestre likes this.
  8. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

I can’t tell if this game is very a very early attempt and looks and feels it, if it’s just bad, or if it’s a joke game.

In any case, there is nothing appealing or engaging about it, so no reason to really play it.