Zealraid's MV Resources (System Weapon and Tall Battler)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Zealraid, Mar 3, 2018.

?

what weapon do you want to make animated ?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2018.
  1. Dagger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sword

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Flail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Axe

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Whip

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Cane

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Bow/Crossbow

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Gun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Claw/Glove

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Spear

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. MagiaVW

MagiaVW Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, but could you tell me what tutorials those were? I will do it myself so I don't have to keep bothering you.

2. Zealraid

Zealraid Pixel Researcher Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't worry, I love to sharing. I learned many basic tutorials about pixel art from random video. Especially for the following Youtuber:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3DZ93Nbou0F4P85Xnq4Ogw
    I already watch all Videos
    By learning how to make Pixel art repeatedly. If you learned how to make colour swatches, you can make anything by yourself, including tall battler. I still learning too o_O . Ohh, and There's no exact tutorial for tall battler.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. JAD94

JAD94 The lunar knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great resources thank you! Love the battler!

Zealraid likes this.
  4. Whip

Whip Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like the tall battler, especially since he has a noticeable fighting stance, very nice. I've been looking for a similar 'walker' (is that what they're called?) - something like yours that has a head that is proportionately sized for its body and legs. I also like the daggers.

Zealraid likes this.
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I just saw your topic and I wanted to give feedback on the Harold sprite. And partly since I think you're trying hard to learn pixel art.

My main critique is the most important part of art in general -- your color palette. It is all over the place. List of reasons you don't want that to happen:
    • Readability. It affects how you will shade your art.
    • Consistency
    • Animation
    • Mass Production
    I suspect some frankenstein-ing or heavy reference is involved in this.

The belt color and the sword looks like they are from Ahruon/Abysswolf or Orkimedes and possibly Cyangmou. The reason I can tell this is because I know the color choices like the back of my hand since my personal style has very similar colors to theirs, being that our inspiration is the same (Brownie Brown art style fans -- Mana Games/Seiken Densetsu Inspiration).

When you compare the color selection compared to for example, the yellow line around his breast plate, is not consistent. The yellow is full monochrome while the belt has clear hue and value shifting. Even the whites are not consistent. Seen in this image:

upload_2018-9-5_16-8-13.png

Your color "white" is inconsistent all over the place:
    upload_2018-9-5_15-56-54.png

You even have pure white as seen here!
    upload_2018-9-5_16-0-56.png

It's also amplified with the skin with where the colors don't mesh:
    upload_2018-9-5_16-16-23.png

Some tips in regards to color selection:

You want to have consistent outline colors. Normally, it would be a very dark purple or blue. Compare to the rest of the sprite vs. belt + sword. Cool vs. Warm Colors dynamics, Color theory, all that fun stuff.

For highlights, what you want is a shade that is closer to the color yellow unless the terrain where the player is has a different "sunlight." The sword's brightest color even shows this!
    upload_2018-9-5_16-12-10.png

You also have issues like Jaggies, Banding and overall lack of polish. I was also confused where the light source is supposed to be. I recommend watching this guy's tutorials since he aims to help beginners with stuff like this:

You also have pose issues, for example, the hand/arm holding the shield looks like it's broken. Here's a quick edit I made by making the color count smaller and more cohesive. I gave up halfway since I also don't understand where the light source is supposed to be on the original sprite so it's a mess. I also didn't bother with the hair which is also pretty monochrome so the colors are always off. Take it with a grain of salt:
    upload_2018-9-5_16-51-44.png

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Knighteriius, M.I.A. and Zealraid like this.
  6. Zealraid

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much for the input, I am very happy with your response. I did this a while ago, and for reference sprites I used original harold Battler at default colors and relied too much on it. For the belt I use the Ahruon Image as a reference and the color of the sword. For sword model is the default sword with strech,and make a lot of jaggy. :hswt:

For color selection, it's actually not that much, it's just that I made a mistake. I once forgot to turn off "anti aliases" in photoshop so that there are some colors of errors that appear.:hsad:

I like to know the details of what I need to improve, make me so excited. For the pixel art base I will also learn it better and once again thank you for the many inputs and details, I also like All your works Jasmin. :kaohi::kaohi:

Do you mean a high model like the RPG Maker XP?
    I also feel that I've seen it, I'll tell you if I've found it.:hwink:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. Whip

Whip Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker MV is the only version I have and I'm totally new to this as of this past weekend so I'm not sure what the walkers looked like in the XP version. As an example, I found this randomly posted as a youtube comment regarding taller walkers:

https://www.florian-strasser.de/downloads/resources/Guardians.png

In that model, the body length looks like it was doubled in size and from experimenting in photoshop I can see that the heads are the same size as the MV assets. I'm not sure if there are other characters like this but basically I've been looking for something about this size, could be a little shorter. When I saw your battler the first thing I noticed was the height and how proportionate it appears so I started poking around more.

Zealraid likes this.
  8. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Whip Please don't ask for help finding resources in someone's resource thread, that's more of a Resource Request topic. That said, the example looks like it may be based off one of my templates.

Zealraid likes this.
  9. Whip

Whip Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't recall asking for help finding assets, nor would I in someone else's resource thread. But thanks for the notice anyway, should I find myself on that path, I'll remember to go elsewhere.

10. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Whip I assumed you were asking for help when you talked about trying to find sprites and posted an example, my apologies if I misunderstood and that's not what you meant.

11. Zealraid

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I sure, it's the tutorial. From Avery and hiddenone.
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...rites-great-again-a-nice-mv-workaround.80898/
    You can find more on resources request topics. I really like the style too, bit remember to suikoden style :)

12. Zealraid

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Upcoming Battler, still on progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Eliaquim and jonthefox like this.
  13. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's not the best way to wield an axe...
    You can hold a sword like this with no issues, but the axe is too heavy at the front, so swinging it from this stance is potentially dangerous for your hand (especially with the blade facing up, that is beyond ridiculous). Not to mention the movement crippling effect of the plate mail. An one-handed axe needs to be in front of your body if you don't intend to keep it in constant motion. A two-handed axe can be held sideways, but still not with blade facing upwards, since axe is made to use gravity to its advantage and the blade is the heaviest part of the axe, meaning it puts much more strain on your hands thsn if you hold it with the edge facing the ground.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Zealraid likes this.
  14. Zealraid

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I misinterpreted my reference image. :hswt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to use another reference as below.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback.

15. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome. I also updated the post with explanation as to why it's not a good idea.

Zealraid likes this.
  16. Zealraid

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much for the input, I just read it after all this time I was offline. I will learn more about how to use this hand axe and maybe I will update it as soon as possible.

17. Anohe1

Anohe1 Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yahoo thanks

[​IMG]