Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Would it be possible to create a system where the player can choose a single stat to raise when leveling up? Also, would it be possible to put a cap on any particular stat at any given level preventing the player from just raising a single stat (for example, just raising ATK until they one-shoots everything)? I want to give player choices in order to make replays of the game less static but still avoid min-maxing. 

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
http://yanfly.moe/2015/11/25/tips-tricks-stat-upgrades/

This might help you. Zelda 2's level-up system work by making you spend exp to boost your stats, so this JP-based script should do the trick. There should be some tips on how to cap out the stats as well (one idea I have is a 'soft cap' by only allowing the player a finite amount of JP). Also, Attack was way more expensive to raise than HP or MP.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did something like this with eventing, where you gained 1 point per level, and could spend the point to train with a trainer in town. Took a couple common events to get all the mathematics correct, and I had to use a variable to store how many points you'd already spent, but it works pretty well.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Take a look at the provided script and decide if it does everything you need it to do and you don't need to add anything to it or make any changes.

If it's exactly what you need, cool!

However, if you feel you would need to change it any any way to make it do what you need, I suggest doing what bgilisp said and using eventing to create your own system.

it's not hard to make a simple system where you gain points when you level up.  I suggest avoiding parallel process common events. (They hurt game cpu performance)

Instead, go with good programming practices and instead do a simple level check any time you access an event that would show or use your point system.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone! 

I will look the script over and see if it covers my needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

On the plus side, if all this rioting sparks another Covid outbreak... I will have a whole lot of time to work on my game. Not exactly how I wanted to get that time, but hey I'm a glass is half full... of RM kind of guy. :LZSwink:
A video once in a while won't hurt.
Have a craving for a Nesquik milkshake. No idea why. Haven't had one since I was a kid. lol. I remember them kinda tasting nice, but also leaving a lot of nasty powder at the bottom of the cup.
The more I think about it, the weirdest part of going to work post-virus will probably be getting used to seeing my coworkers' mouths again. :LZYshock:
I think one of my weirdest realizations is that my speed of game development would probably be about the same if I *didn't* work a full-time manual labor job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beachsidey0