Zelda 2-like leveling up system

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Canini, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Would it be possible to create a system where the player can choose a single stat to raise when leveling up? Also, would it be possible to put a cap on any particular stat at any given level preventing the player from just raising a single stat (for example, just raising ATK until they one-shoots everything)? I want to give player choices in order to make replays of the game less static but still avoid min-maxing. 

2. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    http://yanfly.moe/2015/11/25/tips-tricks-stat-upgrades/

This might help you. Zelda 2's level-up system work by making you spend exp to boost your stats, so this JP-based script should do the trick. There should be some tips on how to cap out the stats as well (one idea I have is a 'soft cap' by only allowing the player a finite amount of JP). Also, Attack was way more expensive to raise than HP or MP.

Canini likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I did something like this with eventing, where you gained 1 point per level, and could spend the point to train with a trainer in town. Took a couple common events to get all the mathematics correct, and I had to use a variable to store how many points you'd already spent, but it works pretty well.

4. Titanhex

Titanhex Do-It-All Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Take a look at the provided script and decide if it does everything you need it to do and you don't need to add anything to it or make any changes.

If it's exactly what you need, cool!

However, if you feel you would need to change it any any way to make it do what you need, I suggest doing what bgilisp said and using eventing to create your own system.

it's not hard to make a simple system where you gain points when you level up.  I suggest avoiding parallel process common events. (They hurt game cpu performance)

Instead, go with good programming practices and instead do a simple level check any time you access an event that would show or use your point system.

5. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone! 

I will look the script over and see if it covers my needs.