Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by kaboth, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kaboth

kaboth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Leave comments below in what you think about this upcoming game

Lowell, Darmok0 and AwesomeCool like this.
  2. PedroVGM

PedroVGM Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I am sure this game will be something unique. That has been many times what nintendo does with zelda, they can do 2 zelda games that look alike and still there is a good amount of uniqueness. In this case of course it seems to be a game that will only have one version but to me, the open field idea is just very good!

AwesomeCool likes this.
  3. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm absolutely hyped. It's looking to be fresh, but while still keeping the feel that is "Zelda". 

But if the green tunic and stupid hat aren't in the game at all, it's a 0/10

AwesomeCool likes this.
  4. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe that it does have a very good chance of being the game of the year 2017. I would say that if it is as awesome as it seems it could be a new revolutionary leap for the Zelda series, much like what Ocarina of Time did back on N64. In fact this might be the Ocarina of Time of 2017, so I have high hopes for it. As someone who is a big fan of the Zelda franchise as well as enjoy games such as Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and (hopefully in the near future) Fallout 4, it's a match made in heaven.

What I am curious to see is how well this Zelda can compete with Bethesda's games when it comes to exploration, freedom and the feeling of adventure. But I'll say that the fact that you can climb (what seems to be almost any surface) is a BIG feature in favor of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Because you can't do that in say, Skyrim. The size of the world is also an important factor of course and even though we've seen the map there is no telling if will feel large enough until we can explore it on our own. I do suspect that the map size will be "okay:ish" but nothing crazy since, well, it's made for the Wii U. I for one hope that the (obvious) NX version does take advantage of the better architecture somehow, even if it's just more high res textures and better visuals.

Also shield surfing looks fun, I bet it's required in some dungeon.

And oh, I need to buy a new TV before playing this because I refuse to play it on a 32" 720p monitor, I just won't. ;)

5. Flanxei

Flanxei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gosh, the last Zelda game I played was Majora's Mask. I never had the opportunity to play anything past that, so I am really excited to give this one a shot. I was also looking for an excuse to grab the Nintendo NX and I figure this game will be in its prime on that console since its hopefully superior to the WII U in terms of specs. I also notice a lot of people are complaining about the cel shading, but I still think it looks really beautiful!

AwesomeCool likes this.
  6. Luminous Warrior

Luminous Warrior Knight in Battle Scarred Armour Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What sort of idiot is complaining about the cel shading? The stylized graphics make it look absolutely beautiful, like a painting. Plus, with the graphics looking like that, this game will age far better than similar games on the market that are going for a gritty, "realistic" look like Skyrim or Fallout. I mean, just look at Wind Waker. All it took was a little touching up for Nintendo to make an HD port. If Bethesda wanted to do that for, say, Oblivion, it would take a massive amount of effort to make the graphics up to modern standards. Of course, I may just be biased. I hate the whole idea that a game has to have a "realistic" look to be good, and the fact that this seems to be a prevailing thought in game design has actually made me dislike those kinds of graphics. Especially considering that people seem to think that real means brown. The least they can do is add a bit of colour. But, I'm rambling now.

I was hyped before E3. Now, I'm practically breaking at the seams with anticipation. As I said before, the graphics are like a beautiful watercolour painting, the gameplay looks fantastic, and every concept shown has made me wish I had a time machine so I could just skip straight to the release date. The biggest complaints I've seen have just been dumb nitpicking over stuff that doesn't even matter, like his green tunic or the fact that he's not left-handed. I'll tell you why. Because the creators wanted it this way. Suck it up, take off your angry glasses, and enjoy the game.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Who complained about the graphics? I think it looks pretty. It reminds me of a Ghibli film. 

And I'm going to buy a NX for this. I want the best experience (okay Nintendo is full of poop when they say it'll play the same. it'll definitely run smoother and look better on the NX).

AwesomeCool likes this.
  8. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    It's the exact opposite of Skyward Sword.

It's beautiful, March can't come soon enough.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  9. KucingBudhug

KucingBudhug Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    I've never finished any Zelda game before, but OMG! The game looks so BEAUTIFUL!!!
    One more reason to buy Nintendo's console I guess :3

AwesomeCool likes this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm a big zelda fan, and I already bought wii U for this game. I don't like stamina system, but everything looks fine and greatful.

11. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Wellp.  Looks like I have to start saving money

AwesomeCool likes this.
  12. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad I bought a wii U.

Even if there was only this Zelda and Chronicles X, it was worth it :)

But my kids also love Yoshi woolly world.

13. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    This is my most hyped game in a very long time. Too bad I sold my Wii U some time ago, so I may have to get it to NX when it releases.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  14. Bloopy

Bloopy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The music alone has me hyped.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
    AwesomeCool likes this.
  15. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Cell shaded > realistic graphics.

why?  For realistic graphics tend to outdate quickly while stylized styles tend to look good even after two generations pass (ex: wind waker vs twilight princess).

Seacliff likes this.
  16. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I respectfully disagree here.

Everyone focuses on the graphics and not the aesthetics. Aesthetics are 100% more important than how "good" the graphics are.
    Twilight Princess's graphics perfectly compliment its dark overtones and set the ambiance. Likewise Wind Waker did the same with its lighthearted 
    and colorful setting. 
    Skyward Sword on the other hand tried to take a middle ground, which ended up complimenting nothing. 
    as for realistic graphics outdating, well yeah. All graphics become outdated. Compare Wind Waker on Gamecube to it's Wii U remake or Splatoon or a new mario game and
    its super apparent how outdated the graphics are. 
    Cel-shading is good. Realism is also good. It's where you use it that is important.

17. Mister.Right

Mister.Right Veteran Veteran

Nowadays, there ain't many JRPG as was in the past. I guess it was the cost development too high and shrinking fan based. Beside FFXV, this is second JRPG stood out at E3.

18. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    It's quite stretching it to call this a JRPG, since it's obviously taking a lot from Western styled rpgs instead. I don't think calling something a JRPG or WRPG says where the game comes from, rather which culture it's taking it's elements from.

That aside, there's hardly a decline of JRPGs.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02/14/does-2016-have-the-best-jrpg-lineup-since-the-late-90s/

If anything it's over saturated. It's technically still a niche, so it's obvious only big names like FF are saved for E3.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  19. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I've never really considered Zelda an rpg at all, really.  In my mind, it's always been an adventure game.  Maybe this is a leftover from the SNES days, when RPGs were about character interaction, and combat mechanics focused on the abilities ofeach party ccharacter, while gameslike Zelda focused on exploration and puzzle solving.  

And it's funny you should mention E3, and FF games being the only RPGs talked about.  I've been in electronics retail for a decade, and I've noticed that there are tons of great games out there which go unnoticed because of poor marketing and nonexistent advertising.  The Vita, for instance, tanked not becauseit was a bad system, but because nobody knew a dayum thing about it.  

Aaaaanyway...

Is anyone else picking up a vibe that BotW looks like it isn't taking place in Hyrule?  Or that this is some uncivilized, yet-to-be explored Hyrule?

20. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    In the beginning of the game, an old man tells you that you are in Hyrule, and the kingdom is in the state of decay. He then points you in the direction to the ruins of the Temple of Time.

With that and the Sci-Fi theme, it's undoubtedly a post-apocalyptic Hyrule.

AwesomeCool likes this.