Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by kaboth, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Mister.Right

Mister.Right Veteran Veteran

There's distinction between Western made RPG and Japan made RPG though both share similarities in gameplay, level design. The distinctions are in the culture element, art style, characters' design and story. 

For example, JRPG story often is more emphasis on character emotion, and character seems weak and sometimes girly, adorable. Meanwhile, Western RPG, is more of strong manly in character design, females often show sexiness, hero sought out to save the world, good vs bad, sci-fi...etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Gaming genres are typically defined how they are played, not how they look like. What you're referring to is how games stereotypically differ from the east and west on visual style, writing style, and target demographic. Which can be applied to any genre, not just RPGs.

Ask other what they consider the differences between the two are, my money is that you'll often hear variants of this:

-A game with action based combat, an open world, and customization that can change the way you battle and explore is typically considered a WRPG.

-A JRPG could be either action or turn based, but they also tend to force a single style of play that you try to exploit to your advantage, a more streamlined level progression that tends to ask you to move from point A to point B, and tries to save most of the dialogue for cut scenes.

However, these are obviously extremes. One genre can certainty take from the other. I've seen the first 4 Etrian Odyssey games referred to WRPG/JRPG hybrids more than once.

But I degress, even if we were going by your definition, I'd still say Breath of the Wild fits your WRPG description more than the JRPG one.

3. Luminous Warrior

Luminous Warrior Knight in Battle Scarred Armour Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Question. Where do you think that this game will be set during the timeline? My money's on the Fallen Hero timeline.

Also, I saw some debate over the fact that this Link is right-handed instead of left, and I developed my own theory about that. Apparently, when asked about Link being right-handed, Aonuma said that it was because you attack with the buttons on the right. I have no problem with a right-handed Link, but the reasoning seems a bit flimsy to me. However, this Link isn't necessarily a new Link. This Link starts out by waking up from stasis, and, from what I know, is implied to have saved Hyrule before. My theory is that this Link is the same as the one from Skyward Sword, the only other canonical right-handed Link, and that Aonuma just gave a fake reason in order to avoid spoiling a plot point.

Seacliff likes this.
  4. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Luminous Warrior It's definitely looking like it'll be in the fallen hero timeline. I'm hoping it'll be at the very end of it (Skyward Sword as the beginning and BOTW as the end would be a neat back-to-back), though I'd guess it's before LTTP. Though if it's before LTTP, the master sword wouldn't be in ruin. But nintendo's played around with the lore before, with Skyward Sword link having his hat before Minish Cap. So for now, who knows?

5. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I missed the bit about the ruins.  I didn't have the sound on.  

I don't know too much about the "eras" of hyrule, personally, but is it maybe the time period referenced in ALTTP, when Ganon stole the triforce and created the Dark World?

6. Fungii

Fungii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Honestly, I'm really excited for it. One, because I will take any chance I get to get some use out of my WiiU (TMS#Fe is helping), and two, for nostalgia.

Like, the style really reminds me of Windwaker, which was one of my first Zelda games. Like, back when you would make up games-within-games, sailing across the seas pretending you were a pirate or just exploring the world, seperate from whatever WW wanted you to do.

Plus, I think it's cool that they're trying to change it up a little; hopefully they're taking some lessons learned from Skyward Sword in making this.