Not open for further replies.

22pepperjack

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so my college has allowed me to put together a small video game design group, and we are using VX Ace to make our first game. (An easy dungeon explorer.) And we have encountered a problem. We want to make a dungeon puzzle with the same mechanic's as the Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons Light Paths Puzzle.

In these puzzles the player is confronted with a red floor seperated into individual tiles. When the player steps on a tile that individual tile changes to white. when the player steps off of that tile and moves to the next red tile, the white tile then changes into a blue tile. This process continues until the entire floor is blue. At that point, a door will open or a chest will appear, ect.

My problem, is that I can create the red tiles, and the resulting blue tile. The blue tile has been set up to teleport the player back to the start of the room, and reset all blue tiles to red. However, my problem occurs when the player steps on the red tile. It will either change all of the red tiles to white, or it wont change any at all. At one point the red tile did change only itself to white, but also froze the game. When I fixed the freeze, it went back to changing all tiles to white.

Also, I had an event set up so that when the tiles are white, or right when they change, they add 1 point to a "Blue Tiles" variable. This event is only activated when it has a certain number of points. (The number of tiles in the room. Which would coincide with how many resulting blue tiles their would be.) The variable event would then open the door or make the chest since it would only be active once the room is completely blue. (This "completion of the puzzle" will also change all blue tiles into "tamed" blue tiles which dont send you back to the begining of the puzzle.)

Does anybody know how I would be able to do this? the ideal would be for each local event to contain what it needs so that I can copy and paste the tiles to each square of the room. However, if anything else is needed, I would be fine with that. I'm extremely stumped, and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

-pepper-

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we cannot help you if we don't know what you've done.

Please post screenshots of the event pages you use for that puzzle, and/or list all scripts used there.

For example, are the red/blue/white tiles events, or do you use a tileswap script to change them?

FenixFyreX

Fire Deity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar - I don't think it matters how he changes the tiles.. I'm thinking it might have more to do with his event triggers or some infinite loop. I have a working (albeit very basic and not graphically pleasing) version right now, in front of me. Really not that difficult of a system to set up...

@22pepperjack - Are you using self switches on each of the individual tiles? Don't try and control a puzzle like this from just one event. Designate each event it's proper workings, and if you see repetitive event sequences, set up a common event for that piece of event if possible. I actually have used a couple script calls in the events / common events, hope you don't mind. Here's the link to the demo:

Event Example

EDIT: Thinking about it, this would be quite easier changing the tiles themselves...you'd just have to remember to save the map data after you edit it..?

Last edited by a moderator:

22pepperjack

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The knowledge and skill of people on the internet continues to amaze and surprise me. FenixFyreX, Thank you! It is exactly what I was trying to do. however, this thank you comes from multiple reasons. First off, you solved my problem. Second, you allowed me to get a glimpse into the world of common events. (A challenge I have yet to even begin understanding.) And lastly, you managed to solve my problem in a way much simpler than what I had beeen planning. Thank you sir! you've earned yourself a follower. Well, in the none creepy way. XD (the quick reply threw me off quite a bit as well.)

-pepper-

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarina