Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I think I figured out how to make gameplay more interesting!
MOTHER is nice and all, but these days real time combat seems to be all the rage!

Binding of Issac, Enter the Gungeon, Hotline Miami, I'm pretty sure these are a Real-Time combat games.

If anyone knows of a way for me to implement a combat system similar to Old-School Zelda, that would be very helpful!
Google search seems to think I'm asking for MV or VX, even when I type "RPG Maker XP" :kaocry:.

EDIT: Did a little more thinking, I think I know how I'd like this to play out.
Mist can have three abilities.
Using an equipped weapon,
Using a magic projectile,
Using a selected Item.

That's kind of like ALTTP, if I remember correctly. That's kind of what I think would be nice!

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think you can bind actions to keys in a common event that's parrelel process and always running. It would take eventing talent to do it this way though

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I think you can bind actions to keys in a common event that's parrelel process and always running. It would take eventing talent to do it this way though
Yeah, I suppose so.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The big name script solutions are Blizz-ABS and XAS ABS for XP. I'm experienced with the former if you end up going that route.

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The big name script solutions are Blizz-ABS and XAS ABS for XP. I'm experienced with the former if you end up going that route.
You got a link to XAS? The link on the home page is busted, and I don't want to use Blizz because "Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes."

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Blizzard has changed his terms, but forgot to update it in his ABS. I'll go ahead and remind him about that.

I don't follow XAS at all, so I wasn't aware the website was borked. In any case, just keep trying to google; you'll find a working link eventually.
Like an older version: https://rpgmaker.net/games/2517/
You can also try Lycan: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-lycan-abs.36382/
Oh, so if Blizz changed his rules, I can use it in my game? I'll download it and see if it works!

EDIT: Reading the user manual, Blizzard's ABS sound like exactly what I'm looking for!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The "docs" are honestly soo frustrating. Eg. positionType : "Returns the current position type of the message window." Yes, great. could you please also tell me if 0 was bottom or top, so i don't have to start a playtest to see, because i keep forgetting it all the time, and what are the docs even for, if not that? (it's top btw...)

Here's the combat sprite of Azrael one of the main characters of our game,
with and without weapon.
https://discord.gg/Q2uS6Str
The one thing I've always struggled with is creating a story, it halts every single project I've ever worked on. We must be in the twilight zone because I've actually come up with a plot, from beginning to end (it kinda wrote itself). I may very well be on my way to creating my first proper little game, yay!
Oh, wow!
6VDEms4.png

Still need one or two "placeholder" asset things and then I'm venturing into custom windows + menus!
(I'm a little scared, lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
etanara0083