Zelda type game in RMMV

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by DavidFoxfire, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DavidFoxfire

DavidFoxfire Veteran Veteran

I know this might be discussed earlier, and I have heard that there are various other systems to build such a game on, but I have an idea on an Action RPG that is a shooter type game, similar to Miami Hotline in gameplay. I basically need a Zelda-type Action Game plugin that turns RPG Maker into a Zelda Maker. I can easily work in everything else because I know a lot of MV.

Is there a good Action RPG plugin or system for MV, and if so, how friendly is it with other systems, like Yanfly?

Thank you in advance for your help in this.

Frogboy likes this.
  2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @DavidFoxfire What you are looking for is a ABS (Action Battle System) plugin. Even then the only real notable ones strictly for MV are QuasiABS and Moghunter's Chrono Engine plugins. But if you had VX Ace, you could go with Falcao's Pearl ABS system (though to use it commercially, you need to buy a license from the creator).

Frogboy likes this.
  3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you don't have luck with any ABS plugins, you can check out the source project for my game Eremiel. It is an action RPG shooter similar to what you described. I didn't use an ABS plugin for it. I just cobbled together various misc plugins to make my own. It turned out pretty well, though.

4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    General Discussion isn't meant for asking about where to find plugins.

I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Theres certainly been a lot of attempts at using an ABS system to try and make a game similar to Zelda over the years but I havent found one in MV or VX that really "feels" good to play, people have the basics working true, but the game feel so far I dont think anyone has really nailed, most feel quite floaty. Hopefully someday finds a way of making it work in a more enjoyable way.

A developer called Dream Mix has been working on his own engine for making Links Awakening style Zelda titles, its still in development but it might be more in line with what your looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCerpGgm4ZnMBCAWvC0C6_Jw/videos

Frogboy likes this.
  6. DavidFoxfire

I got at your source code, Frogboy, and Eremiel seem like the best starting point for me to work on. (Like most of you said, I know that there are several other systems that can do Action RPGs better than RPG Maker MV, but RPG Maker MV is the system I'm best used to at this time, and RPG Maker has several other features that I'd like to work into the game, features that other systems might not easily have.)

I have some things I need to tweak it:

1. Have the character move with WASD or the Arrow Keys and attack with the mouse. The mouse moves a recticle and--if the character is in the same region as the bad guy, clicking on the bad guy will damage it. That's how the character will 'shoot.' They'll be a limited amount of ammo, which is reloaded by ducking into a safe spot where the player cannot be hit. (Again, this can be used with a Region) A time limit will be inposed to speed up things. (In short we're talking RPG Player cross Time Crisis. A shooter version of Half Minute Hero can also be used for a mental image of what I have in mind.)

2. The Player can't dash all the time but can do bust-dashes or rolls to quickly get out of the way or projectiles.

Frogboy likes this.
  7. bazrat

bazrat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We use DKinput for our gamepad/keyboard tweaking.

The best thing you can do for an abs system is break free from the grid based movement in default RM

Frogboy likes this.
  8. DavidFoxfire

DK Imput, got it. As for breaking from Grid Based movement...Would Glav's Pixel move work, or do you have a suggestion?

Frogboy likes this.
  9. bazrat

bazrat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are using galvs map projectiles I would use something other than altimits unless you want to pay to patch it.

Galvs(if you dont have followers) or this:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/analog-move.49828/
    Personally i like this analog move the best

Just remember events dont have pixel movement still in these plugins, only altimits as far as im aware lets everything have pixel movement

Frogboy likes this.
  10. DavidFoxfire

I just asked for permission to download this plugin from the linked Google Drive.

I don't suppose that it's possible for someone to double-tap on an wasd key to get your character to dash a short distance.