Zeus Video Player

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by Zeus81, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well, I'd say, the same size as your game?

544x416 or 640x480?

The script can stretch the video to fit the screen but it's better (for image quality) if the video already has the good size (plus the stretching may bugs with some codecs).

2. ViperX420

ViperX420 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ok I'm running into issues I'm gonna record a video for you to see what is happening it is basically just not running the movie at all like its completely skipping it all together.

Ive tried all the following in event menu

Graphics.play_movie(

"Movies/SAO-000.mp4",

true, true) 

Graphics.play_movie("Movies/SAO-000.mp4", true, true) 

Graphics.play_movie("Movies/SAO-000.ogv", true, true) 

haven't tried to use AVI file yet i just wanted to test formats I already had on hand.

3. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You're using VXace, right ?

Enable the console and try again, it should have an error message.

4. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

that is what the console is telling me as for the filename i copied the name from the file itself so there is no way its spelled incorrectly. and yes VXAce

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hum, are you sure the file is in the Movies folder? and that there's no mispel?

If the file is here there is no reason that it doesn't find it.

6. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    ok so it was in the wrong project folder but now that i put it in the correct one and not the backup lol that what i did first time i made a copy and put the movie in backup instead of one i was editing but now i copied the movie to the copy i'm working on for testing purpose's and it says this now i've tried .avi, .mp4, and .ogv and all come up with same problem below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    It's probably a missing codec.

8. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    you may be correct but i have no way to be sure I got confused when it came to codecs. i installed the xvid codec you recommended to someone else is their a specific codec i need and is there a special way to install it so the game recognizes it or should it automatically know once its installed on pc in general?

9. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    That was an old recommendation (maybe not the best erm) for an old version of the script, now if you read the "Codec choice" section in the begining of the script you'll see that I recommend wmv9(standard).

It's installed on every windows since XP SP2, so there should be nothing to install.

10. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    hmm thats weird cause i'm running windows 7 and it doesn't seem to want to work i wonder why... not even the original .ogv format works with this either which normally works on its own without your script which is really weird as well i figured maybe try the default format but even that returns with same error.

should i try using oldavimode? and try using only avi files?

11. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    No, the oldavimode is even harder to work with.

The original .ogv format is read by an embeded codec in rgss dll.

With my script it only uses windows codecs, so unless you install the theora codec you won't be able to read it.

Try to play this file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/29pb6d9cgr80pb2/1.wmv

It's a wmv8 file encoded with MediaCoder, for me it works fine.

12. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    sweet now it actually works now i just need to figure out how to convert my videos to that format :)

MediaCoder is that a program you used to converted it to that format? searching it on google after i post this so i may know before you answer :p but at least we are getting somewhere its playing movies now :)

UPDATE: Nevermind got it figured out now converted 1 video to test and works 100% now just gotta convert the rest awesome script dude this finally fixes my video issues i was having before thanks alot :)

13. Ruin

Ruin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello Zeus81!

I've been hoping for a project like this for awhile now as I'm working on a game that uses video animations in battle (being able to skip them is a huge plus).  I've been able to get some great compression results using a program called FFMPEG2Theora for the .ogv format, so I'm looking to stick with that.  

Therefore, my big question is: Do you by chance know what it would entail to run a codec from one of the game directories so that people who play my game won't need to install a codec for .ogv playback?  Does the script currently support functionality for specifying a codec?

A secondary question: Have you tested the alpha channel functionality of a .mov file with this by chance?  It would be neat to have video files with transparent backgrounds in RPGMaker.  

14. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Unfortunately we can't do that, I'm using a windows api to play videos in this script and I have no control over how it works. : (

About alpha channel I've not tested (I didn't even know it existed) but I doubt that it'll work.

15. ViperX420

First Language:
    English
    Here is a site to convert your videos from any format to wmv so they are compatible with this script.

http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-wmv

i use this for all my videos and works perfectly and gives you full control to resize the video ect its very efficient and works with all video types.

16. BlackLodgeGames

BlackLodgeGames Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I've successfully been using this script with .webm videos.  I have my game's installer automatically and silently install a webm codec, and so far I've had no hitches on any test machines, even fresh Windows XP installs.  I like .webm because I don't have to buy a license to commercially redistribute videos I've created in the format.  I won't touch most other formats because they demand royalties, although seemingly rarely enforce.  I also like the a .webm file is typically very small, even at the 1080p I'm rendering them to.  Thanks Zeus81 for the excellent script.

17. Ruin

Ruin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the info guys!  I will probably look into the route that BlackLodge went with installing a codec.  Also, I now want to look into the webm format... 

18. GiulioAdriano

GiulioAdriano Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    How I do it ?

19. BlackLodgeGames

BlackLodgeGames Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This code probably won't work for you, but this is how I did it in my main:

Graphics.play_movie("Videos/blg.webm", true, true) if $full == nil $showm = Win32API.new 'user32', 'keybd_event', %w(l l l l), '' $showm.call(18,0,0,0) $showm.call(13,0,0,0) $showm.call(13,0,2,0) $showm.call(18,0,2,0) $full = 1 Game_Window::change_resolution($doScreenWidth, $doScreenHeight, "fullscreen") Input.update Graphics.update end^ That goes shortly after my BEGIN statement in main.  Hope that helps!

20. byrdbones

byrdbones Ren Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This script is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Only thing, it seems to be unstable. I'd say it has 50-60% success rate upon playing the video file. 40-50% of the time It plays maybe a frame or two and just freezes...the music will keep playing. Have to hit Enter or Esc and it closes the video, everything is just like it was before.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014