Zeus Video Player

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by Zeus81, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Sorry to bother you (another time ^^;;; ), this is a little idea that a friend gived me, it's not very important, but, it's possibile to have 2 cancel mode for the movies?
    The first it's the same that already exist (I use it for the opening movie), the second is for the PAUSE, if I want to put my game in pause is it possible to freeze the movie, maybe with a "Pause" image on it (and the chose "return to game" ""jump over the movie" and the possibility to put it in pause without chosing anytrhing (if I don't want that they skip the movie))?

Thanks for your time ^^/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  2. bswi

bswi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

the error message I am getting is: 

"cannot find the specified file. Make sure the path and filename are correct. command : open "Movies/file.wmv" type MPEGVideo style Child parent 4719578 alias Zeus Video Player"

the path and filename are correct (the video is named file.wmv) does it have to be a MPEG video format? would mp4 work? 

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    if the file was looked for as XXX.wmv, it would look exactly for XXX.wmv... XXX.wmv is not equal to XXX.mp4 or XXX.avi or what ever

if that file is named file.wmv but is actually an mp4, then the full name of that file would probably be file.wmv.mp4, which is not the same as file.wmv

4. bswi

bswi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    thanks for the help, I actually managed to get the file to play after meddling with some codecs + moving my Movies folder. but now I'm getting difficulties going into full screen mode. It seems I have some success switching to full screen mode after the video cutscene has already begun playing, but if I try to initiate the video while the game is already in full screen - i'm usually left with a blank black screen (or frozen on the screen before the video starts). I just got it to work for the first time in full screen just a second ago, but I'm wondering if there's any way I can seriously improve that success rate for the video.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I tried to see if upping the resolution of the video file to something closer to the size of my screen would work better - overall same shaky results. Sorry if I seem to be repeating a question, but I would appreciate any advice anyone has to give on this matter. Thanks!

5. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just checked and sorry if this doesn't help at all, but, would setting "fit_to_screen" true or false fix your problem? I just checked the start post but since I'm not the script creator (or someone with scripting experience) it might not help at all. Plus for all I know, that might be what's causing your problem. But it was just an idea.

6. shoopadoowop

shoopadoowop Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, first of all, thanks for the script. Second, I'm having this bug that breaks the script altogether it seems (I made this account just so I could ask for help). I cannot play more than 2 videos. Here's the event (I'm running this on a side test project without any other scripts):

Fade-Out Screen

Wait: 60 frames

Script: Graphics.play_movie(

: "Movies/Introducing_Fernando.wmv", false, 

: false)

Wait: 60 Frames

Script: Graphics.play_movie(

: "Movies/GameIntro2.wmv", false, 

: false)

The first video plays fine, then the second one is just a black screen and audio. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the video itself, because if I switched them around, so that GameIntro2 plays first, then Introducing_Fernando doesn't play at all.

In the original project where I was having this problem (before I brought it into a test project to see if there were other scripts interfering), I had Introducing_Fernando play much later than GameIntro2 and it never worked, but if I set the event up so that GameIntro2 never played, it worked fine.

I am using version 2.3 of the script, and VX Ace.

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

tiagoms likes this.
  7. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hi sorry for the late reply.
    I think it's one of the weird bugs related to fullscreen mode, there's not much I can do about it.
    You can use the OldAviMode which works better when we can deal with its drawbacks.
    Or since you're on VXace, why not use the default player?

8. shoopadoowop

First Language:
    English
    No problem at all, I appreciate the reply. One of the things I forgot to mention was that I'm using your Fullscreen++ script as well (fantastic job on that script!), and the video wasn't scaling so that's why I used your video script.

Over the course of the last 2 months I've been doing a lot of testing trying to figure out the problem, so I'm going to share with you everything I know so far in the hopes that you might know the solution.

I set up a test project with only your scripts Fullscreen++ and your video player to make sure it wasn't a problem with another script. So far I know: playing a video once always works fine, playing another or the same video never works, and playing a video for the third time (and any time after that) always manages to play, but the video never scales properly (it shows up in the top left corner of the game). Now here's where it gets interesting, I'm not having this problem on any other computers I've tested this on, and if I minimize the game and bring it back up again the video is there scaled and playing just fine.

9. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    If you want instead of using this script you can use the default ogv player with this small addon to Fullscreen++ :

class << Graphics  alias zeus_fullscreen_play_movie play_movie  def play_movie(filename)    mem_ratio = self.ratio    self.ratio = 1    zeus_fullscreen_play_movie(filename)    self.ratio = mem_ratio  endendThe video will appear centered in fullscreen mode, it's not perfect but at least there's no bug.

I'll try to have it stretched in next version.

10. shoopadoowop

First Language:
    English
    Ok thanks for your help, when do you think you'll have fullscreen++ updated to stretch the video?

EDIT: I put the script addon at the very bottom of the script, that was the right place to put it right?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  11. Zeus81

Zeus81 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Before, after, it's not important, anywhere should be ok.

I have no release date but it should be soon enough I hope.

(But I'm not sure I can do the stretch, I have to test first)

12. shoopadoowop

First Language:
    English
    Thanks again for all your help, and let me know when/if you release the update.

13. Marc1k1

Marc1k1 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello Zeus! this code looks fantastic and just like what I'd want for my project.

While I am interested in using this to play videos in-game I feel you've covered the instructions for that pretty well here but I really don't know how I would use this to show a small opening movie prior to the menu screen (due to my limited understanding of scripts and coding in general, sorry :S)

If I could get some help on how to use this to implement an opening movie to the game then that would be awesome and very much appreciated.

14. SpookyHollows

SpookyHollows Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very nice! I've been looking for something like this..But I can't seem to get it to work D: Sorry for the huge screenshot, but there is the error I keep getting. 
    I use RPG Maker VX Ace. Is that why it won't work? I made sure I typed in the script correct, the video file is a .avi and is in the correct folder as well. 
    [​IMG]

15. DeathByGames

DeathByGames Swaggy Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm  a total noob in scripts, but I don't know where to insert the script. Help... (RMXP)

16. F117Landers

F117Landers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The following steps should work:

1. In the menu toolbars, select [Tools] > [script Editor]

2. Go to the very bottom script (Main)

3. Right Click [Main] > [insert]

A blank script will be inserted above main. 

4. Rename the blank field to "play_movie" (using the [Name] field)

5. In the play_movie script, paste the video code (should end up at 285-286 lines)

6. Click [Apply], then [OK]

7. Save the project

8. Outside of RPG Maker, find the file folder for the project

9. Inside of the root folder, create a folder called "Movies" (the root folder contains "Audio", "Data", "Graphics", "Game.exe", "Game.ini", "Game.rxproj", "RGSS10[x]E.dll")

10. Place the movie (.avi format) into the "Movies" folder

11. Re-open the RPG Maker project

12. To call the movie, create an event (or however you want to activate the movie)

13. Inside of the event, add a [script] (Tab 3 on RPG Maker [Event Commands])

14. The script needs to contain:

Graphics.play_movie( "Movies/[filename].avi" )

Note: [filename] is the name of your video file. 

Note: If your file is not .avi, you will need to change the extension in the script to match the video file.  Video support is limited to the version of windows you are using (which is why .avi is set to default).

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you!

Although I'm not Zeus, I just tested this in a simple manner that should work for you as well (RMXP):

1. In script editor, open Scene_Title

2. Go to # Load database (default line 17)

3. Insert a new line above # Load database

4. Paste the following:

Graphics.play_movie( "Movies/[filename].avi" )

Note: [filename] is the name of your video file.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  17. JadeKrieger

JadeKrieger Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Hey everyone, Awesome script! Thank you very much

it works perfectly with all my other scripts.

I have one question though.

Is there a way that only the ESC button (or num 0) can cancle the video?

I use enter and space to go faster trough the text but sometimes it happens that when the video starts i press space cause i thought a text was coming and i cant rewatch the video

since i evented it like it.

I just want ESC to be alble to stop the video from playing.

I dont know how to script. if its just a little skript part i have to add please tell me where i have to add it.

I hope this topic is not outa date

Thank you very much.

18. Hakuzen

Hakuzen Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey Zeus,

I'm having an issue attempting to use your script in RMXP (RGSS3) in full-screen mode.

I know that you already have a general full-screen bug disclaimer in the section of your script detailing ZVP_OldAviMode = FALSE, but I did notice that you have ZVP_OldAviMode = TRUE listed as having no known bugs.

Just wanted to let you know that there is indeed a fullscreen bug even when ZVP_OldAviMode = TRUE . I used a supported codec and followed all the rules, but no matter what I do be it different codecs, different script options, different method call parameters, there is only a 50% chance a video will properly display. The other 50% of the time, the screen will just go black and play the audio.

It's a little maddening, as I have found no rhyme or reason for the odds being where they are. It's a literal coin flip each time the call method is used, whether or not it displays. When it works, it works perfectly.

Is this already known about? Is this just a flaw in RGSS3 that cannot be fixed? I stupidely went through a lot of trouble creating some FMVs after my initial tests proved successful with this script, and now I feel like a complete idiot.

Let me know if there is any hope at all, or if you have any hunches on what I could try on my end to get it to work.

Thanks!

19. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

Zeus, the script works in rmvxa?

20. Kenshin

Kenshin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Yes it works on ACE, I use it there ^^

tiagoms likes this.