Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Disclaimer: Fantasy religion and a lil' bit of implied sex

Zieg

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
Hello guys! This is just a small passion project. It's an interactive visual novel (for now) it should last around 30 minutes. It has some existential elements but it's mainly a love story (for now). This build ends when it takes you to the menu screen.

This story is about Zieg, a normal boy who decided to dream big in a restrictive country dominated by a religious organization that decides almost every aspect of an individual's life. Said organization
flips his life upside down and threatens to make him miserable until the day he doesn't draw breath. It's a story about oppression, existential ennui and depression (at first). You follow him in his old new life as he goes from task to task and hates every second of it (at first).

This is chapter 1, the focal point of the story is purposefully narrow and isolated to a few characters. I only have less than 5 minutes worth of video tutorials in my brain, I just wanted to get started right away and get something done before my motivation left me stranded like it often does. So I wanted to start small. This much took me a week to make, probably because of my inexperience. Lots of trial and error.

I'm planning chapter 2 to play differently and have a different vibe and to expand on the world everything happens in. Add new characters and whatnot. I'll also actually try to learn the software better before making it.

I've tested it a lot so there shouldn't be any ways to soft lock yourself but if somehow you manage to please tell me!

I'm not really a writer and I'm not confident in my punctuation so if you spot any mistakes please let me know!

It's the first thing I've ever created so please feel free to praise it or stomp all over it. I don't mind critics!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
FfAYPws.png

rxdaJ14.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited:

LostFonDrive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just played and finished it. I quite like it even though the gameplay loop is obviously very repetitive (even if it makes sense story-wise)

I really like the theme of how stupid the "life script" is and the idea that people should live the life they want to instead of doing things just because it's expected of them. Although I'm biased because I very much defy the life script too (e.g. not in a million years having kids)

Don't have much to say since it was short but random thoughts:
-It's funny how similar the Zieg face image looks to my Jude icon at a glance
1614294441901.png1614294455718.png

-"The order isn't seeking and won't be seeking..." should really be "The order is not and will not be seeking..."

-Some of the small trees let you stand under the top tile, others don't?

-Really good use of music

-The grandma is quite funny

-I wish I got to see what was in those woods...

-The final scene is quite beautiful and well executed

-For something made in a short time it's well polished compared to many RPG Maker games that are broken and full of glitches, although it is simple so that does help

-Your art style is super cute

Overall an intersesting and unique project for sure!

LividJoke

Hedonism is a challenge.
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for playing!

I'm sorry that the beginning is purposefully repetitive but I really wanna establish an existential point and build up on that as the story goes. I kept that part short on purpose as well as not to bore people for too long hopefully.

I'm never having kids either!

They really look alike!

Thanks for the grammar check!

Trees? I have to check that, maybe I inadvertently fixed it in newer versions but I'll make sure.

Thanks I really try with the music.

Margaret is the best I agree!

You will see what's in those woods in chapter 2!

Thank youuu, I worked it over and over until it felt right.

I actually spent hours making sure glitches weren't a thing so I'm glad it works. You may think it's simple but I think it felt pretty complex for a first project, it was hard to make sure the daily routine would work no matter what the player did and that nothing would break and that people couldn't softlock themselves. Maybe it's simpler if you have prior knowledge, I really went in with nothing but an idea. I've already watched all kinds of tutorials and know the software better. I think chapter 2 already shows how much I've learned.

I have an art-style? What do you mean?

Thank you! Chapter 2 is slowly being made, it'll last longer than chapter 1.

Last edited:

LostFonDrive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have an art-style? What do you mean?
The character face portraits - you (or whoever it was that drew them) has a cute and quite unique style, the characters look great imo

LividJoke

Hedonism is a challenge.
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@
The character face portraits - you (or whoever it was that drew them) has a cute and quite unique style, the characters look great imo
They're made with the character generator, I made them.

I'm glad you like them, I'm flattered.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been working on something on and off for a few years now, and I've been reluctant to share any details on the project before I had anything playable because I did not want to generate hype only for the project to go back on hiatus. That being said I believe what I'm working on is very unique and pushes the boundaries of what RPG Maker projects can be. Bold claims, I know but just wait.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)
Create Anime Art w/ AI, Tall Sprites with Aurora, Customize Variable Display | RPG Maker News #34

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]
dd_airport2.jpgdd_combat.jpg
dd_town.jpg
I did an experiment to try to solve the art style problem between RTP and 3D models.
But, it feels this grimdark world is going to end even faster. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyky