Zofar-Man: Defender of Justice

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Nimbus, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Nimbus

Nimbus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! We're down to the wire and I finally have a playable version of my game, ready to go! (Zofar-Man official contest page)

[​IMG]

Nate Landis was just an average slacker... until he was mixed up in a crime scene and got blackmailed into being a robot-suit test pilot. Against his better judgement, Nate becomes Zofar-Man, a real life super hero on a mission to clean up the streets!

The Defender of Jusice: Zofar-Man

After getting mixed up in a crime scene, Nate Landis finds himself under the thumb of the ambitious Prof. Zaka. She blackmails him into being a test pilot for her experimental new robot suit in exchange for her keeping her mouth shut. With the powers of the suit, Nate becomes the mighty Zofar-Man and embarks on a series of missions to rid the city of local evil-doers. Although the life of a super hero is far outside the realm of Nate's previous lifelong ambitions (aka sitting on a couch and watching TV), he may just discover that he's better suited to the role than he ever imagined.

Multiple Gameplay Styles

Prof. Zaka has Nate take on a wide variety of missions throughout the game. There are three different styles of missions to choose from, so it keeps the gameplay fresh and interesting. You can complete these missions in any order that you choose, allowing you to play the game the way you want to.

Disaster Control MissionMake your way through various disaster areas (such as a burning building), and save all of the trapped victims before time runs out. There are various paths you can take depending on which robot suit parts you have equipped.

Hostage Rescue MissionIn this mode you investigate crime scenes classic-adventure style and search for clues that could help you find the kidnapper. Once you think you've found everything, you hunt down the kidnapper and try to talk them into releasing the hostage. There are multiple conversation paths that get unlocked depending on how many clues you discovered earlier, and it will take some smooth people skills to recover the hostages unharmed.

Take out the Boss MissionThe more action oriented part of the game, these missions require you enter into the stronghold of a local mob boss and take him down. You will have to sneak your way past both melee and ranged henchman who do everything in their power to prevent you from reaching their boss. 

Suit Customization

Zofar-Man has the unique ability to swap out certain parts of his suit for better, more effecient pieces. Each part that you equip adds a new ability to Zofar-Man's arsenal, so mix and match them before each mission to create the best combination for the job. (For example, bring the Mind Reader helmet on a Hostage Rescue mission for some interesting new conversation paths) Parts cost AP to equip however, so you'll need to carefully plan out which suit to bring with you. 

General Notes about Zofar-Man

Zofar-Man was created entirely within the month of June, 2014 using RPG Maker VX Ace. It is somewhat of a narrative-driven game, so there's quite a bit of dialogue. Although it isn't an RPG in the traditional RPG Maker turn-based style, it certainly has a lot of RPG elements to the gameplay so I figured it would fit in this category.  All scripts/tilesets/music that were not created by me have been given the okay for commercial use. Everything else was created entirely by me (Steve Rakar), with a bit of help from my sister (Michelle Rakar) for the initial character concepts.

Update: I managed to upload my newest build just seconds before the deadline! Man, that was intense... Check out the official contest page to get the newly released version 1.1. Or if you're brave enough to try the untested but RTP free version, you can download v1.2 right here. Thanks for playing and good luck to everyone in the contest!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

What comes to mind for this game is: unfinished and MEAN.

Every single character in this game is some sort of rear end in a top hat, the visuals are clearly unfinished or very raw, and I got stuck with nothing to do 12 minutes into the game. It’s just not…appealing. I don’t really want to play a game that only features a bunch of assholes. By far the best thing about the game is the title screen.

3. Nimbus

Nimbus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your honest review! It definitely opens my eyes to a few things. What you were supposed to do was stand on that stair case two tiles below the robot suit. In my haste to meet the deadline, I didn't realize that space right below the suit was walkable (it wasn't supposed to be), so the event ended up being in the wrong spot. It's a shame but I wonder if getting to the actual gameplay segments would have changed your opinion on the game.

You definitely have a point about the unlikeable characters! After writing the script I actually had the thought that Nate might be too mean-spirited, but I ended up leaving it alone. The focus of the story is on Nate's transformation from an unlikeable jerk to a selfless hero, so I definitely wanted there to be some contrast there. But I probably dialed his negativity up a bit too high. Also I totally made that intro sequence too long. It was very interesting to see how your mood shifted the longer you played. I really appreciate your feedback, and it will help me a lot in developing the improved final version. Thanks!