First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ThreadTitle.png
Get cured or get zombied!
a game by mlogan and Dekita

about.png
A zombie infection is taking over the town! You've been infected and must fight your way through the hordes to get to the cure! Explore locations to find weapons and items to help you fight your way to the hospital. Make it to the hospital before the zombies deplete your energy or you become fully infected and are zombied!

With randomzied locations and items, this game may be a quick play through, depending on what weapons and items you find first. Challenge yourself to beat your time each round!

screen.png
Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Screen3.png

Screen4.png

future.png
Depending on the interest in this game, some thoughts for future development are:
- Port to MV (I've been building this on an 8 year old computer, but will soon have a brand new one)
- Add new levels
- Add new features/challenges such as kill counts
- More weapons with different states/effects
- New versions, such as alien invasion

credits.png
Graphics:
Vexed Enigma
mlogan

Scripts:
Dekita
Falcao
Yanfly
Estriole

Music:
Joel Steudler

download.png

Get it here!

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of your images don't work.
Capture.PNG
Game does look cool by the art that I can see though. Really like the characters and tileset.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's just this site. Sometimes images load and sometimes they don't. There's really nothing I can do about it.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, chainsaw and snacks, send the zombies my way. :smile:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks good! And congrats for finishing!
I'll check it out soon as I have some spare time.

I expect pervy zombies since Dekita was involved in the making.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All I did was look over it and do some little touches using previous ace scripts i had written. i really dont deserve credit tbh :p

However if i had my way, it'd be much more nsfw ;)

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks neat. But every time I try and open it, it says 'failed to initialize DirectX audio.' :kaoback:

I'm using Windows 10 btw...

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh okay, I have no idea what that is and I don’t have a functioning pc at the moment. I’ll look into it as soon as I can.

Chroma-Creative-Solutions

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaaahhh I got janked and stuck in one street with zombies running in from both sides constantly, eck dead. This game is hhhhaaarrddd, maybe just a bit too hard, died 10x in a row and still can't get to the hospital :) on the 11th try made it to the hospital! That being said "official" review below:

The setup of the game is great for what it is, quick and dirty tutorial and get you straight in the game to play. Randomizing works great to keep each play-through feeling fresh and unique, while keeping to what you expect out of a drop in game. Each play-through is likely to only last a couple of minutes, but each are fresh enough that you don't mind playing a couple of times to get the full experience. This has a strong presence to work great as a built in browser game to gain popularity. The random nature of the map and item generation inherently lend themselves to this style of game, and drive additional play throughs.
That being said it was quite difficult right off the bat. The most common reason I can think of why I died was because I was constantly getting surrounded on both sides of the narrow streets, and did not have any weapons that killed fast enough for me to escape. There could be a couple of solutions to fix this issue depending upon what the future of the game would be:

1. Allow the player and zombies to walk through other areas outside of the pre-determined roadways to avoid the congestion and infinite trail of zombies feeding in swarming.
2. Increase the range/damage of the weapons (allows you to get through crowds of zombies better).
3. Lessen the amount of zombies/increase the size of the map slightly (expanding space so you have more time to kill zombies).

There was some confusion based upon information in the tutorial as well. It may be due to the randomized nature of the game, but, I never found anything to blockade the zombies and keep them away from me. Additionally it was not immediately clear that I could only equip weapons in slot 1, I thought that I would be able to utilize weapons in multiple slots. I would recommend mentioning something about Slot 1: Weapons, Slot 2: NRG Drink, Slot 3: Blockades (I am assuming since I couldn't find any).
In the interest of curbing the difficulty to increase player drive to continuing playing I would recommend giving the player a starting weapon as well. I had about 3 play throughs where I found nothing in multiple buildings and died. There is nothing necessarily wrong with this, but, it does discourage the player from continuing to put in time and effort to completing the experience.

Overall I would recommend the game to be played, and am definitely looking forward to see if you do any future edits and finalized version of it.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like your review, lotsa detail and good ideas for potential future expansion :)

edit:
blockades (tires etc) are found randomly in the houses as well.
it used to be considerably harder until i complained about it :D
pro tip : go in each house twice ;)

daheji

Call me Dah
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Played a bit and it was quite nice. A short game that does its job, being entertaining.

There isn't much to say really. The random map is well done. Not having a weapon at the start of the game is a good idea, it adds a bit of tension. I do believe though there should be some kind of options to push the zombie away.

The weapons range is way too short. Or maybe add some effects to the different weapons. For example, the bat may push away zombies farther, to allow you to move more freely while still being hurt by the zombies. Or the shotgun has increased range but the ammo are limited. You could throw the knife to insta-kill a zombie too.
A few additions that could be a good idea:
- An option to skip the tutorial would be nice too. Like holding K to skip the tutorial.
- Show the timer at the end of a game, so that we can share our score with other players.
- Start area could be random too. It isn't really necessary but it could add some flairs to the game.

And that's about it for me!

Good job!

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I gave this a go, and managed to make it to the hospital after a few tries. It's a fun concept, I hope that you'll update the game at some point. :)
⦁ These notes are taken as I play

⦁ I love how the intro is simple and gets all the important info to the player, but I do almost wish the tutorial parts were split from it and played once the player found a weapon or barricade, just so the keys they need to remember are fresh in their minds

⦁ Very cool idea for the map, limiting the movements to small paths makes it both easier to avoid zombies and also scarier because if the player gets surrounded they're in trouble

⦁ It would be nice to start with a weapon, even just the Pocket Knife would be useful since I got the bad luck of finding nothing but junk in the first few buildings...

⦁ Why doesn't the number pad work for the weapons? It would be easier to use those

⦁ The fact that the zombies can be standing right outside the door of buildings the player runs into is accurate to zombie movies, it's a bit annoying for a player. I'm not sure if there is a good way to deal with that, but having them lose interest if the player stays inside a while could be nice. The player would have to balance out time spent hiding from the enemies with the infection increasing (the infection does increase with time, right?)

⦁ I wish the Shotgun had a bigger range, the zombies still can get so close that they may hit me before I can hit them with the gun

⦁ A quickstart option would be nice, the player is going to die a lot so it'd be great if they could just jump right back into the fray without going through the intro

⦁ Huh, why do the NRG Bars bring up a 'Select Target' choice?

⦁ Ironically, the one round I didn't find any weapons is the one where I made it to the hospital

⦁ Never did see any blockage items...

Overall I had a lot of fun with this, trying to plan out my paths to avoid zombies was interesting. There are a few things that I wish worked like how I expected, mostly the guns, and considering my bad luck when it came to finding weapons it would have been nice to start with something, but even with those flaws I had fun playing. Good luck if you decide to keep working in this concept! :rwink:

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a fun arcade style game and I died a lot. So much so, I chose it for a video playthrough and review.

The game is quick to start, quick moving and quickly ending. It's a great formula for a game on a handheld device when you're sitting around waiting on something and want to kill time with a game you can put down easily.

Having a choice to skip the little intro would be really wonderful especially after playing it several times over and over and then some more, and then more...

In equipping items, I could not figure out how to unequip an item to remove it from a slot if I wanted to, and I was able to equip the same item to both 2 and 3 slot. A little bit of error handling in the inventory slot control would go a long way in helping the user not be quite so clumsy.

My biggest frustration with the game was the random drop functionality was a little too random, and sometimes got stuck dispensing uselessness, and then other games would drop 3 shotguns in a row. If the existential point of a Zombie game is "sometimes you don't find the stuff you need to survive or fight back and you die," then - spot on! You nailed it, and I got along with that mentality. But bringing about a little bit of ratio control to the randomness of the drops might bring some balance to the game and give the user more of a fighting chance in each playthrough. Maybe one of the police department drops is always from a selection of weapons so you don't ever get two junk drops in a row in the police department. Maybe the drops are from a pool of variables so that ratios are predetermined so you don't get 8 junk drops in a row. Or maybe you just get junk and suck and die and restart with no option for skipping the little intro for the 34th time...

The random generation of the map is pretty cool and each room map (condo, convenience store, station) is cohesive in art direction and color continuity. Playing a game like this over and over that goes quickly, the square grid starts to become redundant and simple after a while. Creating a few different layout shapes of maps would add some variety and changing randomly between those layouts on game load would help alleviate staleness.

Some random area-clearing drops would be a welcome reprieve. Coming across something that makes a big boom and blows all the zombies back a block would be an exciting find and change the tide in some runs. I still haven't seen the tire barricade so I either still haven't understood how to pick it up after all this time - I tried with the tire stacks I saw sitting around - or I haven't gotten the drop.

If this was my game I'd be trying to get it on handhelds and phones. Its simple, quick play has an addictive appeal and its short scope makes it an easy choice for brief idle moments. I would download it to my phone.

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This was really short in a good way - I was able to do 3 runs in a single sitting and really felt like I'd seen the game! I appreciate it, I've tried to play as many Game Jame entries as I can but a lot of them average out at 30 minutes to an hour T_T This one gets the job done very quickly and leaves a powerful impression!

I really appreciate the tutorial at the start too which covers the mechanics pretty clearly (with maybe one exception) and sets you up to just get in and have fun. It would be nice to have the option of skipping the tutorial, though, or making it a separate main menu item, as I had to sit through it on both subsequent runs.

There was one mechanic that really confused me and wound up getting me killed the first time around. I tried to place a blockade in front of me, to stop an approaching line of zombies. I thought I would just press 2 to drop the blockade, and then be able to move, but instead I kept getting error sounds and was stuck to the spot. I killed several of the zombies using a weapon I had equipped, but I was totally stuck, I couldn't even turn around. Eventually I realised I was still moving the blockade, not my character, but I couldn't figure out how to cancel out of the blockade placing interface. I'd say this is not totally clear from the tutorial. Second time around I took some blockades off to an unoccupied corner and experimented with them and was able to figure out how they worked, but I was still a bit sore after getting killed!

The randomised loot was cool, I got a lot of weapons on my first time around, but not a lot on subsequent playthroughs which changed my approach a lot.

I don't know this asset set, if it's bespoke or not, but I really love it- especially the nice house indoor tiles that have a beautiful green colour scheme. I'm a big fan of lower res tiles that look more like a classic SNES game.

One thing I wasn't wild about was the grid layout of the map. I thought at first that maybe it was randomized so that different buildings were in different locations, but on subsequent runs it looked the same, and the Hospital was always in the same spot. It made it very easy to just barrel through to the Hospital, even taking some damage but just brute forcing my way through. I get that the same requires a lot of narrow corridors for blockades to be effective, but this map shape just feels a bit dull. I'd prefer something that felt more... organic?

All in all, a totally excellent game! If you do expand it, I think map variety and enemy variety would be good! The weapons and items already seemed decently varied.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, I just want to say thank you for everyone who has taken the time to try this game and write a review (and I'm sorry I didn't say that sooner). I really do enjoy the feedback, but most of all that, in spite of it's flaw, you enjoyed it. Because isn't that the purpose?

Second I will say - skipping the tutorial: I know right? Lol, I really do apologize, believe me, I became aware of this after adding the tutorial, but needing to playtest often. However, the tutorial was one of the last things that went in, so there wasn't much time left. I tried 2 different skip cutscene scripts, but could get neither to work. I'm sure it was user error, but it just wasn't something that I had the time to sort out.

We've already started work on porting to MV and there will be a tutorial, likely as an optional level. But it will definitely be skippable! :p

As for the blockades, while I love the concept, I'm not sure they will stay. They just didn't quite pan out the way that I wanted them to, and mostly proved unnecessary. If they do stay, we will rework the concept a bit and make them easier to understand and more useful.

I have gone through and read feedback and made a long list of ideas and suggestions. We will definitely be looking at the range of the weapons as well as special effects. Plus, being in MV, it's using a different ABS system that will allow for multiple weapons to be equipped. Many of the limitations - only being able to equip weapons to slot 1, not being able to use the number pad, etc - were simply limitations of the scripts that either couldn't be overcome or we didn't have time to worry about it.

I will be rethinking the maps. Getting away from the grid means getting away from the spontaneously generated buildings and means a lot more manual mapping. Which may not be a bad thing, it's just definitely a different level of work to think about. @EuphemiaArtoria I had to google what "bespoke" was in this case, as it seems to be a UK thing, lol. The tiles are from VexedEnigma's POP! series. I love her work and they are easy enough to edit and do some additions myself. Plus, she has such an extensive collection for them, that I will be able to stretch them to make quite a variety of locations and the potential for other invasions (aliens anyone?).

@webgamesetc I enjoyed your playthrough and your enthusiasm for it! It definitely makes a huge difference to see how people play it and how their thought process differs from your own as they make choices in it. We've definitely discussed going mobile for it, which is part of the motivation for porting to MV.

Again, thank you all for trying it and I'm just glad you overall enjoyed it!

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played it, recorded it as well but it's too short a game to upload. Got it finished in 5 minutes. I like the art. It's a bit simple though and I didn't know how to reach my menu to equip weapons until I decided to click every button on the keyboard. Turns out the menu button is K for some reason. I don't know if you let the player know that in the intro or not but I'd put it on the map somewhere for the player to see.

That's also the kind of game where you'll want to have a skip intro option since the game is like pacman and you'll be starting over multiple times until you finish it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, the intro does tell which key to use. As I stated before, I tried to add a skip intro script, but could not get 2 different ones to work and I did not have time to get it to work before the game deadline. I figured submitting a finished game without the skip intro was better than not finishing for trying to get the script to work.

Thanks for checking it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I had a birthday party earlier today. No-one showed up. ;_;
yay my offer is up :) joys
@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grung