Zombies (Halloween Edition)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by hyde9318, Nov 3, 2013.

1. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RM.Coalition Presents
    A Neon Black and Hyde9318 Production
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zombies. Their creation means death and destruction all across the globe. That is exactly where we have placed you as a player. After an unknown event linked to Chimera Corporation has sparked the zombie apocalypse, you are set into a world where surviving as long as you can is your only option. Take up arms as one of our two known survivors and defend yourself as long as you can against endless hordes of zombies and mutated abominations. If the killing spree gets to be too much for you, team up with a friend to cut down your enemies!

[​IMG]
    - Play against endless waves of enemies and shoot for first place on the high score list, Arcade Style in survival mode.

- Choose from multiple maps, each with their own atmosphere and set of problems!

- Pick your weapon from an arsenal of guns to take down zombies in your own way!

- You will find different kinds of zombies and mutants during your fight, ranging from normal zombies to acid spewers that will sap your health even after death.

- Three different ways to control your game; Use your Keyboard, Mouse, or even a controller!

- Grab a friend and take those zombies down in 2-player local Co-Op!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
     ​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Three Ways To Play!

--Controller--

* Left stick to move
    * Right stick to shoot
    * Left bumper to enter rage mode

--Mouse--

* A, S, D, W to move
    * Mouse cursor to aim
    * Left mouse button to shoot
    * Shift button to enter rage mode

--Keyboard--

* A, S, D, W to move
    * Arrow keys to shoot
    * Shift button to enter rage mode​
    [​IMG]
    Our game is currently up for download over at RMN, and we plan on keeping that as our main download location simply because it keeps everything in one place, allows us to keep the game updated, and also allows our players to give comments and reviews on the game itself. If you give the game a download and play it through, please take a minute to give us a small review on RMN so we can see how it is sitting and what we can improve on. To download the game, visit the link below and either click on the "Download Now" button, or even click over to the "Downloads" tab to find a link.

[​IMG]

Production-
    Neon Black
    hyde9318

Scripting-
    Neon Black

Artwork-
    hyde9318
    Neon Black
    Enterbrain
    Celianna
    Lunarea

Music/SFX-
    hyde9318
    Enterbrain​

[​IMG]
    For final notes, I just wanted to say that this was a blast to work on. It was an idea we as a team have had for quite a while, but it was really the Halloween Contest on RMN that gave us that extra push that we needed to pull it all together. I believe it came out really nice, and it is even being expanded on over time. We have big plans for the future of the 'Zombies' title, and hope to even move forward with a new edition in the future, providing an even more in-depth playing experience and expanding on what we have built with this edition. Neon and I hope that you all enjoy our little game and would love to see how well you all do on the game.

If you get a pretty high score, take a screenshot and post your pic here on this thread to show us how you did. Also, to anyone who does any 'let's play', Video Review, or livestream of this game, please give us a link and a heads up. We know that at least one member has already done a fantastic livestream of it and we love seeing how well other players fair in the world of 'Zombies'.

Thank you all for stopping in and giving our game a shot (no pun intended). You all have a wonderful day and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
    Anorak and Matseb2611 like this.
  2. Neon Black

Neon Black The Classy Prostitute Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Not going to lie, the final night before the deadline I pulled an all-nighter just so I knew it would be ready.  100% custom code is not easy to do.  And honestly I still don't quite like the balance....  Which is why I worked on that first while updating it.  Aside from balance and a few mechanic tweaks, we have planned 8 new zombie type (over the existing 5) as well as at least 2 new maps to play in.  Just hoping to get it done in the next few days.

Anyway, we ARE looking for feedback to improve it and take everything into consideration.  Give it a try and tell us what you think!

3. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reserved

4. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just gave it a try. Good job, guys. It is pretty fun. I like how there is a variety of weapons and arenas to choose from and also how gory it can be. I couldn't quite get the mouse to work though. The aim would appear, but when I pressed left click, it wouldn't shoot, so I ended up using the keyboard, which worked fine. I was glad that it was possible to move and shoot diagonally too.

It was a bit too slow in the first few waves, but it gets really fun once you start to get swarmed. I especially like the inclusion of special zombies, like those that leave a cloud of goo or poison upon dying. Though I think it would be nicer if zombies looked a bit more hideous. At the moment they look just like ordinary people coming to give me a hug or something. :p

Oh and btw, it was nice to hear those awesome tracks being used in a game. They all fit their respective levels well.  

Just one last question. Is there any good reason to use weaker weapons like a pistol instead of say a semi-auto shotgun or assault rifle? Does killing with weaker weapons give higher scores or give any other payoff? 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  5. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, it does seem the mouse is a bit bugged. We will look into that. However, if you ever get the chance, try it with a corded Xbox 360 controller. Man oh man, that is the way to play this. Some friends and I sat around my laptop one day playing co-op for so freaking long, lol.

And yeah, the first waves are intentionally slow so that people can get a feel for the game and its controls, but we are looking into making them a little bit more zombie heavy so that it is still slow, but not quite as bad. And your opinion on the looks of the zombies is certainly noted. We are currently looking at some different kinds of sprites for different zombies just to see which ones we like best.

For the most part, weapons are pretty balanced. In the 1.0 version (the version currently up for download), the flamethrower tends to be a bit on the higher end of the scale in terms of damage per second, but it got nerfed a bit in the next version that we have been working on. It pretty much plays out as so... Shotgun would be the highest damage, but the slowest firing. Then you go through the pistols, the Assault Rifle, and then the SMG which has the lowest damage, but highest firing rate.

So, bit of a sneak peak for version 1.1 ... As said before, you guys will be seeing some new weapons possibly, as well as a few new enemy types, and even some unlockables. A map or two will be redesigned, and you may even see a new map or two. This new version is being worked on currently and if debugging allows, we should have it available rather soon.

6. Neon Black

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    The controls need to be switched to mouse in the settings menu before the mouse can be used to play. Also, the mouse only works in game, not in any menus. I'm working on the menus, but I'll find a way to make it more obvious what controls to use.

The waves are being adjusted a bit so a slow start shouldn't be a problem. Zombie graphics are also going to be changed but we had a deadline to meet so we just kept them default.

And the "weaker" weapons are actually stronger, just slower. The potential power of each weapon should be about the same. Actually my best score was set with the magnum. There may be a few balance issues since we didn't have a lot of test time, so we'll look into it.

7. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My best is still with the Assault Rifle. Trust me, rapid fire is your friend here if you are like me. It may not be as powerful as the shotgun or magnum, but I like to run and gun, so it is perfect for my play style.

Also, I completely forgot about changing the setting... I feel silly... On a game I worked on too.... lmao.

Not sure if we want to do it, Neon, but I was thinking of having a contest eventually. not right away, but something along the lines of "Create a Zombie" or "Create a Map" where the community can create their own content, then we judge it and the best works get put in the game with credits going to the creator. It would give the community a reason to look into the game, as well as give them a reason to play and see their creation in action.

Not to mention I was thinking Holiday themed sections. We so have to have Zombie Santa for an enemy and Santa's Workshop as a map during December. Just saying, lol.

Anyways, I have been updating the game page a bit. I have started doing an 'Behind the Scenes' blog for the game. The Behind the Scenes mainly will just explore stories from the creation and updating of the game, plus some little extra anecdotes so people can see just how this all came to be. I am also thinking of adding a mini-series of short stories to the blog to tell the backstory on the game, written as if a survivor was writing a diary during their travels. It would probably be a 5 or 6 part mini-series and would cover what is known about the beginning of the outbreak, where the survivors are hiding, how they have survived, and why the zombies seem to be mutating rapidly. If you guys like this idea, I will get on it.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  8. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So,  i am currently working on a game guide as we speak to go along with the new update that is also in the works. The guide can be found on the page game page under the 'Guide' tab (self-explanatory). But I thought I would give you guys a little teaser for the bestiary part of the guide, meant to help people better understand the zombies. 

​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also while I am here, I am curious. What kind of high scores are you guys sitting at currently? Find a favorite map or weapon yet? And which zombies are giving you the most troubles?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So far this is the best that I got:

Zombies high score 2.png

Lab rat level with a flamethrower. I personally think lab rat is the best level for getting high score because of its design. Zombies can only really come from 2 directions there (as opposed to from all around you as in other levels), which means you can be very tactical there. I often use the goo left over from the goo zombies as soft cover, because it can slow down the zombies coming from that side whilst I am shooting the crap out of the ones coming from another side.

In that particular instance, I went down on round 17. Wasn't touched at all in the first 15 rounds, but then things got hectic in round 16. In a way, because this level is more enclosed than others, it can add to the difficulty too, because there's less room to move around in and dodge the enemies.

Zombies that give the most trouble? Probably the ones that have a lot of HP and take a while to go down, though in general it's getting swarmed from every side that's the real killer. :p

10. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, question. If there were to be a "Zombies" sequel, what kind of features would you guys like to see?

11. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, let's see. Just some of my suggestions.

- Adventure mode, where you traverse the levels perhaps and every once in a while you have to make a stand against a zombie wave and continue only once you've beaten that wave.

- Moar maps

- Moar weapons (how about stuff like proximity mines or other explosives?)

- Moar zombies (I'd especially love to see some monstrous or animal zombies, some might even act as boss fights)

- A vehicle chase level (perhaps this could be one of those special maps where you're driving and have to shoot at the zombies coming your way)

BD

12. Neon Black

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    I love these suggestions and we'll keep them in mind.  It does sound like a small scale Resident Evil, but I'm all for that.  I'm sure I have a few tricks up my sleeve that will make that work well.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  13. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So here we are, just under a year later... While the team of Neon Black and I is not currently working on any updates to Zombies, the title itself is now being moved forward under Dekyde Studios and I am not pleased to announce this...

[​IMG]

That's right, Zombies will soon be stalking the net again, ready for fresh flesh to devour. There are some huge additions being done this time around, so make sure to look out for it as time goes on. I am not going to give any actual release date right now as we just aren't positive when it will be ready, but know that we are taking a leap forward from the first game. 

So, want to support Zombies and show just how ready you are for Z2? We have a nice little (actually fairly large) pre-release banner for anyone wanting to show off in their signatures! Just copy and paste the code into your signature and viola!

[​IMG]

Code:
    [center][IMG][URL="http://i.imgur.com/Hoqqk9r.png%5B/IMG%5D%5B/center%5D"]http://i.imgur.com/Hoqqk9r.png[/IMG][/center][/URL]